Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Record Liaison Roles and Responsibilities
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:56:15 -0700

> I have been told that a Records Coordinator is the same as a Records
> Manager. The names seem to be used synonymously in NC. Can someone provide
> me with a job description to clarify the difference, if any?

 It's sort of a case of potAto, pOtato...
 Every organization makes decisions what to cal someone in a position, and
in part, that's to meet the structure they have in place for a hierarchy of
position titles. As an example, sometimes divisions report to departments,
in other cases it's exactly the opposite.
 I'm unaccustomed to thinking of a "coordinator" being the same as a
"Manager". In most instances I've been involved in, the Manager (or
Director) is the highest level, and an analyst or coordinator is more of a
mid-level position.
 As for the earlier discussions (where this thread began) about Records
Liaisons, our Liaisons are not functionally members of the Records
Management Organization. We do, however, consider them part of the overall
Records Management Program. They are employees in other organizations that
have been provided some level of training related to records management
policy and procedures, have a more direct understanding of the retention
schedule than others in their organizations, and are considered the "first
line" for departmental employees for contact with respect to records
management issues. We provide quarterly training for these individuals and
periodically communicate with them in regard to any known records
destruction moratoriums, or other issues pertaining to decisions that may
impact records issues.

Larry