Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: New records classification structure
From: Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:29:39 -0600

John,  I'm still in the middle of this exercise myself -as time permits.

I've created a cross-reference matrix for the old versus new structure and
have begun to populate the no-brainers.  We have a series of SME's for
each functional area of the new structure and I'm asking them to populate
the matrix from old to new.  This will help with validation of the new
schedules/structure and show where potential gaps are in the new
structure.  They will also be approved by the records coordinators of
different facilities/business units in case of differences in
interpretation of the descriptions in the two structures.  We need to be
comparing apples to apples.
 I will then take these gaps and work with the SME's to reconcile.  We
have yet to implement an ERM system but when we do I will have fields for
both of the structures for ease of filtering and search.  This is because
of the potential differences in the description of the functional versus
divisional structures and the fact we went from approx 1200 series to
450..
New additions to the system/archives will need to be done in the new
functional structure after some cut-off point and the structures
reconciled to the longest retention period if differences occur. We will
also be referencing physical and electronic records into common buckets to
handle event driven retention periods.  It will also allow us to begin
capturing some additional metadata if needed.  In the interim if the
records come up for destruction review it is handled on a case by case
basis.

This is really in the early stages of development so feel free to critique

Hope we're not to far out in left field and good luck on your project.

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc
319.295.5244