Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: what to say to document management naysayers
From: "Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:20:41 -0600

>>"I can't see why we need to use document management software."<<

There are multiple business reasons to use a ECM/ERM solution.  However,
considered individually, it is not unusual for individuals to pass it
off as another layer of unnecessary complexity and management instituted
crud.  What I have found effective is to use an alternative environment
to show how ridiculous our current practices are.

My favorite is a grocery store.  Imagine a grocery store where the staff
could put anything where ever they like. Find an empty space, fill it
up.  Milk where beans were last week, toilet paper in the chips, ice
cream in the produce. Heck, one guy even stocks a shelf in his garage.
And why not, they know where they put it...

Sounds really silly...

...kind of like many organizations store records today.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota