Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: New records classification structure
From: John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:39:37 -0500

Our organization has been struggling with trying to merge our current
classification structure that works well in the paper realm with one that
works in the electronic realm.  I really do want a functional structure as
the old structure was divisional in nature and caused many problems.  I
have decided to scrap the old structure and come up with something new.
The proposed functional structure will work well for our organization and
I trust, will solve many problems.

My question is this:  Has anyone done this before, and how did you handle
mapping the old legacy structure to the new one? If anyone is willing to
share successes or failure, that would help.   We have over 100,000
records which need to be re-classified.   Our EDRMS is new.  Now is the
time to do this before we move electronic records over from our public
drives into the EDRMS.

As I meet with senior management to show the new structure, I will ask
them to assign one person from each group to work with me on this.  Any
thoughts?

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"