Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Swainson's Hawk
From: John Thomton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:00:50 -0600

Hey everyone,

Randy Harrison and Charlotte Pryor were the duo from Maine who were with Chris and I looking for Lesser Nighthawks at Lucky Hammock last Saturday evening.  They reported to me what they saw on Sunday and thought Florida listserves may want to know about the Swainson's Hawk they saw.  The following paragraph is lifted from their e-mail:

We saw an adult light morph Swainson’s Hawk in flight (long sinuous pointed wings, dark flight feathers and contrasting light inner underwing, hooded neck/head, etc) south of Belle Glade 3.4 miles east of US Route 27, on CR 827 (.9 miles north of the bend from E-W to N-S) at a field where there was some agricultural burning and a large aggregation of vultures, raptors, storks, etc were soaring (and walking) about (we had stopped to watch an American Bittern fly across the road).

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.