Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Risks of Keeping Records Past Assigned Retention Dates
From: Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Feb 2010 13:09:32 -0500

I fully understand that your request was about paper-based records.
there is a lot of anecdotal evidence out there regarding the problems
associated with paper-based records kept beyond their normal retention
periods.
Whether the record is paper, microform or electronic does not matter. If the
information in whatever form is retained beyond the approved retention
period  all sorts of problems can ensue. See Brent Reid's post for examples.

If an organization says in court that the records were destroyed and later
are found not to have been destroyed the court couldn't care less if those
records are paper, electronic or stone. The organization will be sanctioned
or an adverse inference will be issued.

And don't forget that paper records kept beyond their scheduled destruction
will continue to incur storage costs if they are in an off site facility.

If you are looking for specific instances involving paper records you may
want to search through the listserv archives for RAIN postings

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va