Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Anyone else agitated by [constant] vendor personnel turnover?

Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:18:51 -0500

text/plain

On Feb 25, 2010, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: "Forbes, Cherise" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: February 24, 2010 5:05:58 PM EST
> Subject: Re: Anyone else agitated by [constant] vendor personnel
> turnover?
>

> This is one of the primary reasons I change my offsite storage
> vendor!!!

First, I believe that if a salesperson changes from one company to the
next or leaves the industry, that should have little bearing on your
relationship with that company. The company is the company. If you did
not look hard and long at the company and ask other companies in your
market how they enjoyed the service and you did not write in an escape
clause for poor performance, then you might be part of the problem.
Salespeople in this industry are not rewarded for serving you well,
they are rewarded for selling new clients.

A good sales rep can make a bad company look good for a time but
eventually one of two things happen:
1) A bad company can overwhelm all the best efforts of the sales
person. Salespersons do not pull the orders, drive the truck, oversee
the selection of the software system or more importantly control the
companies service commitment. Company management attitudes are
everything. You finally realize that the sales person is not the
reason behind the problem. The bad company decides to put a new
salesman in place and try to restart the clock.
2) The salesperson of some integrity decides this is not worth the
money and moves on. Oftentimes to the company in that market that
offers integrity of service or they start their own business.

If records managers did a better job of writing the contract with the
vendor then you would have some control. If you brought in legal
instead of purchasing to help you with the contract, you would be
better served. If you assume the salesperson will be gone in six
months and write your contract to accept that fact, then no matter who
comes in to say hello, you will still have great service.

Now if you must have the same salesperson to be happy, I am your
man. 25 years and I am still selling for the same company. Not once
has management mentioned firing me. Even though I am now 60 years
old, there is no mention of replacing me. That that must mean I am
obviously a great, great sales person. ;~)
Editorial note: The writer owns the company and will not fire himself
until all his kids are out of school.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults