Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Retention Schedule: Is a policy, a procedure, or neither?
From: Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:37:17 -0500

I am writing an organization's first retention schedule.

I have usually made retention schedules an attachment to the Records
Management Policy, because it was part of the overall corporate records
management policy and was a specific schedule of how to manage the
lifecycle of records whether I became the custodian of those records or
not.   I was always able to update my schedule separately from my
records management policy.

My current organization considers a policy and all of its attachments
one single document that requires a higher level of review in its
entirety, but the level of review that would take place may take a long
time.  So, does anyone do it differently?