Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Retention Schedule: Is a policy, a procedure, or neither?
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:58:48 -0400

Wow, this is turning into a Love Fest. I can't think of too many other
topics that the votes have been nearly anonymous on!  =)

Policy is a "What" and "Why" document; the retention schedule is more part
of the "How" set of guidance that is included to direct users on
meeting/complying with Policy.

I can't think of many cases where you'd want the two bundled into one
document, unless maybe you only had a few series and/or all records had the
same retention.  We've always treated the retention schedule as a living
document, subject to change as external guidance or other requirements were
modified.

Larry