Attached is the most resent informational alert from Microsoft regarding August’s security updates. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Thanks for your time.
4 August 2005
august 2005 Microsoft Security Response Center Bulletin Release
What is this alert?
As part of the monthly security bulletin release cycle, Microsoft provides advance notification to our customers on the number of new security updates being released, the products affected, the aggregate maximum severity and information about detection tools relevant to the update. This is intended to help our customers plan for the deployment of these security updates more effectively.
In addition, to help customers prioritize monthly security updates with any non-security updates released on Microsoft Update, Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services and Software Update Services on the same day as the monthly security bulletins, we also provide:
· Information about the release of updated versions of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.
· Information about the release of NON-SECURITY, High Priority updates on Microsoft Update (MU), Windows Update (WU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Software Update Services (SUS). Note that this information will pertain ONLY to updates on Windows Update and only about High Priority, non-security updates being released on the same day as security updates. Information will NOT be provided about Non-security updates released on other days.
On 9 August 2005 Microsoft is planning to release:
· 6 Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates will require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA).
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Microsoft will release an updated version of
the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update,
Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services and the Download Center.
Note that this tool will NOT be distributed using Software Update Services (SUS).
Non-security High Priority updates on MU, WU, WSUS and SUS
· Microsoft will release one NON-SECURITY High-Priority Update for Microsoft Windows on Windows Update (WU), Microsoft Update (MU), Software Update Services (SUS), and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
Although we do not anticipate any changes, the number of bulletins, products affected, restart information and severities are subject to change until released.
Microsoft will host a webcast next week to address customer questions on these bulletins. For more information on this webcast please see below:
· TechNet Webcast: Information about Microsoft's August Security Bulletins (Level 100)
· Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:00 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)