BEST-L March 2008

From the ecogeek

Honey Rand <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:14:43 -0400

Florida City Will Soon be Powered by its Own Poo

Florida Town Turns Sludge into Energy
Florida, United States [RenewableEnergyWorld.com]
Sanford, Florida will be the first municipality in North America to
adopt the MaxWest gasification system to dispose of biosolids. MaxWest
Environmental Systems has developed the gasification system, which
converts sludge from the municipal wastewater treatment system into
energy.

"Compared to the projected cost of natural gas, a fossil fuel, Sanford
will save $9,000,000 over the 20-year life of our contract. This
technology has provided us with the opportunity to save money while
managing our waste stream and protecting the environment."

--Paul Moore, Utility Director, City of Sanford
MaxWest will build a facility at a wastewater treatment plant. The end
product of a sewer plant, wastewater sludge, also called biosolids,
will be gasified in an enclosed primary gasifier to produce syngas. In
a continuous integrated process, the syngas will be oxidized in an
enclosed thermal oxidizer to produce thermal energy. ForSanford, the
thermal energy will replace natural gas to power a new dryer.

"Compared to the projected cost of natural gas, a fossil fuel, Sanford
will save $9,000,000 over the 20-year life of our contract," said Paul
Moore, the city's utility director. "This technology has provided us

On Mar 27, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Dr. Ann C. Wilkie wrote:

> Got milk? Convert it into biofuel
> Researchers tap organic waste as a source of energy production
> MSNBC, March 24, 2008
>
> "There’s no use crying over spilled milk in Japan. Not when it can be
> converted into biogas.
>
> As the alternative energy movement picks up steam, researchers are
> increasingly looking to their local communities for tons of organic
> waste that could be transformed into more environmentally friendly
> biofuels. At the Nigata Institute of Technology in Kashiwazaki, Japan,
> that mindset has spurred scientists to give new life to spoiled milk.
>
> With mountains of discarded food slated for landfills or incinerators,
> however, researchers are discovering that a little ingenuity can turn
> the world's abundant garbage into a whole lot of power.
>
> Waste-derived biogases such as hydrogen and methane can be fed into
> turbines to generate electricity and heat, compressed to power fuel
> cells, or concentrated into a form of natural gas.
>
> With a friend whose company transports spoiled milk to a local
> incinerator, Masayuki Onodera (an associate professor of applied
> chemistry and biotechnology at Nigata Institute of Technology) hit
> upon
> the idea of diverting the cargo and putting some of the curdled cow
> juice to good use by producing biogas.
>
> Using the same technology, Onodera hopes to harness the power of other
> school lunch castaways, whether pushed-aside carrots, detested peas,
> or
> his own son’s nemesis, the tomato. The nearby presence of one of the
> world’s largest nuclear power plants has presented another unexpected
> bounty that might be similarly harvested: rotting jellyfish.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23638979/
>
> --
> Dr. Ann C. Wilkie                          Tel: (352)392-8699
> Soil and Water Science Department          Fax: (352)392-7008
> University of Florida-IFAS
> P.O. Box 110960                         E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Gainesville, FL 32611-0960
> Campus location: Environmental Microbiology Laboratory (Bldg. 246).
> http://campusmap.ufl.edu/
> BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
> http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/

Honey Rand, Ph.D., APR
813.948.6400

Author: Water Wars: A Story of People, Politics and Power