Seawatches - Jax Beach

Noel Wamer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:46:29 -0500

text/plain

Wednesday, 2/21/01, 7:40 - 8:25 am
Friday, 2/23/01, 7:25 - 8:20 am

The Red-throated Loons invasion seems to be winding down, as the counts
were 15 on Wednesday and 11 today.  All flying loons were headed
north.  This recent decrease coincides well with a report I read of many of
them northbound off the North Carolina coast this week.  This morning there
was a steady northward flight of gannets so I clicked them for 40
minutes.  The total was 271.  A fairly funny sight on Wednesday was a
female Ruddy Duck buzzing along to the north only a few feet off the
water.  I believe this was the first Ruddy I have seen on a seawatch.  The
highlight on these two watches were two Pomarine Jaegers today.  Both were
light morphs: a striking adult with a good tail projection and a
subadult.  Both were less than 200 yards off the beach, just beyond the
breakers.  Another interesting sight on Wednesday was a scattering of Tree
Swallows apparently foraging over the ocean..  Some were as much as 300
yards out.

Later...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL, US
[log in to unmask] http://www.badbirdz.com/
"Even in its most primitive form, naming is a kind of judgment."
                                                        (Walker Percy)