 Common Eider - Sand Key, Clea=

David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:54:19 -0700

text/plain

Subject:  Common Eider - Sand Key, Clearwater, FL – 071713 [birdPIX]
Hi all:
I was at Sand Key Park beach, Pinellas Co., FL on 071713, Wednesday afternoon at 1315-1500.  I was especially interested in finding and photographing the Common Eider [COEI]
that has been reported there.
I first spotted and observed the COEI at 1430-1455. I believe there must be some sort of ailment with this bird. At times it would stretch out its wings that appeared to be
rather ratty looking - perhaps molting? It was out in the water when I first noticed it as it swam towards me. It got out of the water whereupon I sat down within 5-10 Ft. of this bird.  It sat there for several minutes.  It did not react to my presence. It got back in the water and I departed the park at that time.
Several years ago, during the fall season, I first spotted and identified a COEI at Arcadia National Park in Maine.  I did not own a camera back then.  By comparison that bird
was in alternate plumage. This duck looks like a drake in partial eclipse plumage?  This is the plumage according to my reference book, “Ducks, Geese & Swans of North America”,
Bellrose.
While in the park, but not the fee area, I observed 3 Black-crowned Night-Herons.  A Green Heron briefly flew into the rock jetty but I did not see it again.  I observed but did
not photograph American Oystercatcher, Willet.  I did get pictures of the Common Eider, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Green Heron
Common Eider • 071713 • Sand Key Park beach, Clearwater, Pinellas Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329598929/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9332394914/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329598295/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329597857/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329597393/
Black-crowned Night-Heron • 071713 • Sand Key Park beach, Clearwater, Pinellas Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329596579/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9332392076/
Green Heron • 071713 • Sand Key Park beach, Clearwater, Pinellas Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/9329597119/
Equipment used:
Canon EOS 50D+EF100-400 mm IS USM • David Laliberte 2013
Happy birding,
David Laliberte
Clearwater, FL
Checkout my birdPIX at: