Selasphorus Hummingbird

Marcy Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:06:16 -0500

text/plain

Yesterday (November 19) Dana and Nancy Griffin came over to my house for some back yard birding and Dana noticed a Hummingbird.  He and Nancy spent a good deal of time in Arizona this past summer observing Hummingbirds and he quickly recognized it as Selasphorus.  We all got a good look at it and it is a female (most likely a Rufous).  Nancy noticed another Hummer but the lighting was bad and we couldn't get enough detail to see if it was male or female but it was quite thrilling none the less.  I think that they left their good luck at my home because this morning I saw the first Baltimore Oriole in the yard for the fall.  Last year they didn't show up until Christmas Eve so this is quite early for my yard.  Also, I was in North Carolina in October and they were commenting that the Cedar Waxwings had arrived earlier than usual up there.  Perhaps they are going to appear in Florida early this year as well and that is why they are being seen in Ormond Beach.
Marcy Jones
Gainesville, FL

Listowner: Click:  [log in to unmask]