LINUX-L 2018

Re: Mail Server Inquiry

Brian Bartholomew <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Mar 2018 16:50:50 -0500

text/plain

I am considering if I should make another presentation at South East
Linux Fest in June.  The title could be "Host Factory Generates a Mail,
Web, etc. Server for YOURNAME.com in Five Minutes", and that's exactly
what I would demonstrate.  Generate a linux image just like the linode
and godaddy web dashboards do, but then continue to manage it as it
evolves.  Use the new Host Factory composition tools I've been
prototyping; one description lets you check/fix a running machine, load
a blank disk, and diff/rollback vs. a never-run condition.

How else will anyone find malware which is well-written enough its poor
performance doesn't get it tracked down by an antivirus company?

If I were clever, I would base the configuration off some preexisting
recipe for current Ubuntu that I didn't have to invent.  Possibly in
Docker.  Possibly not in Docker, because the Docker filesystem
boundaries are a hassle for my approach.  The unclever alternative is a
derivative of my existing mail/web server, sanitized of all my personal
data.  I'm not sure I can be that clever in the available time.  Does a
recipe save me time or cost me?

Whatever route, there is a fair amount of system administration software
development work required, and I'm sure I won't get to it unless I have
users who are giving inspiration and feedback.  Anybody here want to be
those users?

--
Working Version                 Brian Bartholomew, President
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.workver.com&d=DwIBAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=iUSCqQal-H20QF9or__3g2H9ORMheuOrwYuG_vCdc2g&m=p0SsqqlIbJvdylvVGPM9cKVhKzvLpZeax33fWySNrGg&s=E-i8y6svPRLwGQm8lWikjLnNWMJ7ocsym8324t8e59Y&e=         Host Factory computer configuration management