LINUX-L 2018

Re: Mail Server Inquiry

Steve Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:13:52 -0500

text/plain

I would consider looking at ISPConfig - not only does it have that setup
as its back end, but it gives you a rather nice management interface,
and lets you manage DNS, mail, webspace, etc.

I didn't need/want teh extra management of DNS, etc. so I simply used
this howto -

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__workaround.org_ispmail_jessie&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=iUSCqQal-H20QF9or__3g2H9ORMheuOrwYuG_vCdc2g&m=Wx5HwnOxtnSq83W9aEG26RG4JQyiKZcicra66b5Py2M&s=nS4GIqtKVL_DUtnp3C5g5_olknTVq2nCDy5cnGkolS0&e=

And then modified it to bring in SSL/TLS, etc.  I'm using a re-done
version of it for the Linux Services course I teach over here at "the
other college" ....

Unfortunately, the instructions I've setup for all of this are based on
Debian (and now Ubuntu), not CentOS/Redhat.... if you like, I can try to
gather it all up as pure HTML docs instead of having it in our Canvas
system....

---
Steve Jensen
Santa Fe College
Gainesville, Fl

ICQ # 3440385

---

On 02/27/2018 10:22 PM, Nick Strickland wrote:
> Alright fellows,
>
> Iíve been working off and on for a week or so trying to get a mail
> server up and running. Running CentOS 7 w/ postfix, dovecot, and a
> mariadb setup so I can support a good number of users, domains, and
> effectively manage from an admin website Iíll create later.
>
> I just /canít/ get this working. Now and then I scrap my progress to
> start over, hoping thatíll set me on the right path, but Iíve gotten
> just about nowhere. Every time I have issues accessing externally,
> having postfix fail to configure new users added to the database
> properly, or something else.
>
> I realize this is a pretty complicated setup for a (relative) novice to
> Linux server administration, but Iím determined at this point. Plus Iím
> tired of not being in control of my data flow or whether or not my mail
> is encrypted.
>
> So what do you say? Help a brother out. Anyone have any tutorials,
> classes, or books I can take a look at to properly wrap my mind around this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> NSS

 Please note that Florida has a broad public records law, and that all correspondence to or from College employees via email may be subject to disclosure.