LINUX-L 2018

SSD & union?

Eben King <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2018 20:07:06 -0400

text/plain

I'm considering getting a small SSD for my root fs, but I hear that while
SSDs can fail read-only, this almost never happens in the wild, and they
tend to brick themselves instead.  So I want to protect my data.

One scheme I thought of is to have / mirrored between a partition on my
spinning-rust HD (call it sda2) and one on the SSD (call it sdc1), and have
the system boot from it while reaping the speed benefits of an SSD.  Is this
possible?  How would I go about this?  RAID 1?  The synchronization probably
need not be live, just periodic and frequent.

--
-eben   [log in to unmask]
Two atoms are discussing whether or not to go into a bar. The first atom