LINUX-L 2018

Re: Mail Server Inquiry

Robert Munyer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Mar 2018 17:36:21 -0500

text/plain

Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> Here are some notes on how I test my mail installations:

AUTH on port 25 is on your list of expected features?

I don't offer that, and I never thought I was being unusual.

When I see criminals trying passwords on port 25, I laugh,
because even if I had an account whose password was "password",
they wouldn't be able to determine that by making thousands of
attempts that all receive "Error: authentication not enabled".

(I'm thinking of automatically reporting those attempts,
via blocklist.de.  Does anyone have an opinion about that?)

P.S. I'm curious whether your mailtesting page got a hit, a few
seconds after you sent your message.  If it did, that hit would
presumably be from the thing that replaced your 52-character URL
with a 293-character URL.

-- Robert