Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Suggestions for new name for classes

Richard Damashek <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:49:27 EST

text/plain

In a message dated 1/13/99 3:17:39 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

Of all the names suggested as of 10 a.m. Thursday, the two that stand out as
the best in my frame of reference are :

<< Principles of Academic Inquiry. >>
"Introduction to University Studies,"

My reason for selecting these two names is that I have been researching trends
in developmental education, and I have been convinced that David Arendale's
analysis is right on target: the future of developmental education (and the
basis of its survival) is integration or embedding in the regular college
curriculum. His argument is that treatment of a separate group of incoming
students as "students with problems" suggests the "medical model."  The
separation of this group of students creates an academic underclass that
suffers the stigmata of being less than equal. They are treated with lower
expectations by both regular students, faculty and administration. As we all
know, low expectations likely produces low results.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you create a new paradigm based in the
integrated or embedded model. Specifically, that means no separate courses for
deficient students, but courses that are helpful to all students. Supplemental
Instruction is a good example of how this thinking works. It is based on the
premise that all students can avail themselves of academic support or learning
assistance.

If you must have special entry level courses, use intellectually respectable
titles and open them to all students.

Richard Damashek
Director of Developmental Studies
Calumet College of St. Joseph