Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Paying Peer Mentors

Diana Calhoun Bell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:38:24 -0500

text/plain

Hi!
At the University of Alabama in Huntsville we have begun a peer mentoring
program and here is how we structure the pay. We pay the mentors for up to
10 hours a week. They turn in contact logs (which you can find under staff
resources on our webpage at http://arc.uah.edu if you are interested) and
we create their timesheets from those logs. We require that they work
toward certification as peer mentors through the CRLA. Beginning pay is
$8.00 and hour. Once they achieve Level 1 certification, we pay them $9.00
an hour, and then when they get level 2 certification, we pay them $10.00
an hour. It usually takes one semester of work/training to achieve each of
the certification levels.

This year, our peer mentors worked with 10 students who were in the same
major as them, but we are going to make some changes next year. We learned
so much from our mistakes. First, we are going to put the peer mentors in
our UNV 101 class (which is a freshman experience class) so that they have
a time to meet face to face with the students. We found this year that the
students just wanted to email and facebook and would not regularly meet
face to face for meetings or outings with their peer mentors even when
they were scheduled. SO, by being in the 1 credit hour UNV class with the
students, then the peer mentors will have face time with their mentees.
This means that they won't necessarily be in the same major, but we don't
think that is a problem since this year no major-specific issues seemed to
be a problem for students. Also, this means that the peer mentors will be
working with around 15 to 20 students instead of 10. We'll see how that
goes. We could put 2 mentors into each classroom to keep it to 10 each,
but I think they can handle 20 and so do they.

Anway, if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact
me! Oh, our training manuals are online as well and you ar more than
welcome to look at those,
Best,
Diana Bell

> We are looking into beginning a peer mentoring program at the community
> college I work for. I was asked to create a budget for the pay and
> supplies needed. My question is: How do you choose the hours you pay the
> mentors? Do they have a set number of hours per week? Do they mentor more
> than one student? Do you pay them for each student they mentor? What is
> the average amount of hours mentors work per week? These are the only
> questions I can think of so far. If you have any input, I would really
> apprciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,

> browser to

Dr. Diana C. Bell
Academic Resource Center Director
136 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL  35899
256.824.3142

"We cannot learn something without eating it, yet we cannot really learn
it either without letting it eat us."
                              (Peter Elbow)

September 2020
August 2020