Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: How many involved in Summer Experiences!

Joy Deleon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:48:18 -0500

text/plain

Yolanda and all,

We have a summer bridge program funded by our Student Support Services grant
which is specifically geared towards first-generation, low-income and
students with disabilities.  We have new staff this year, so aspects of the
program are likely to change, but it has the 30 or so students that come one
week before orientation and are provided activities to foster social and
cultural experiences, and sessions to help them to adjust to college. (I
have frequently done a session on how college is different from high school
and they also hear from professors about how to interact in the classroom).
They are introduced to many resources and staff around campus and we make
particular efforts to connect with them so that they feel like they have
many people that are supportive of them.

Hope that helps,

Joy