Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: At risk program

"Mayfield, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 May 2003 18:51:22 -0500

text/plain

Lisa,
        We initiated the Retention Management System (RMS) this year and
administered the College Student Inventory (CSI) in the fall.  I am REALLY
glad one colleague and I attended the Noel-Levitz training session in
Waterloo before we implemented it.  There were explanations and how-to's by
experts; lots of stats given on successes; and numerous presentations by
people who had been using it successfully, giving creative ways of adapting
it to their institution's needs. We learned that the pivotal piece of the
RMS is the CSI advisor's personal interaction with the student.  That takes
personnel and commitment. There is a significant time commitment for each
advisor not only to meet with their advisees regarding the results of the
CSI, but a significant amount of [reading] preparation is necessary prior to
each conference with a student on their personal results, if it is done
according to the design of the program. That becomes a work-load issue.
Noel-Levitz does offer excellent support and continuing education.
.       The scheduling and administration of the instrument isn't difficult,
and it isn't long enough to trigger an attitude problem among the students
(about half an hour); but training all the faculty advisors on how to
effectively interpret it to their advisees was a significant challenge.  The
Noel-Levitz materials are excellent, but we just didn't have the time for
the length or type of advisor training they recommend.  I used their
materials and developed a "down and dirty" one-hour training session, which
was also videotaped and put on reserve in the library. One nearby university
that didn't send anyone for training quickly realized the problem that
created and had me come and give two of the one-hour workshops for their
advisors.  I can't imagine being successful with it without some training,
and without having every advisor who has the student sessions have ready
access to a CSI manual.
        We had a few advantages to make our launch successful: all our
faculty are advisors, and the previous spring they had voted unanimously to
try the program before we committed to it; our college is very small and
already had a very pro-active philosophy and practice for dealing with our
new students; I was willing to coordinate the RMS, but all of us agreed that
the first year would be a pilot, with some wrinkles that would have to be
ironed out as we went, so we wouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
        Here are the things we would or will do differently:  (1) administer
the CSI as early as possible after the new students arrive on campus [we
started it in October this year--too late]; (2) make sure every faculty
advisor receives some training in using the CSI before any of their advisees
has the opportunity to ask them questions about it [in spite of the
workshops and videotapes, there were some who never finished the training];
(3) schedule faculty training as part of the August faculty sessions before
the students arrive on campus [we did it in October, after my colleague and
I received the training from Noel-Levitz--too late] and do a mini-refresher
every August [already planned for this year].  (4) Set a reasonable time
frame and commit to it--next year we want all CSI conferences to have taken
place by midterm [this year they didn't even start until second semester].
        We are going to pay close attention to how much overlap there is
between the CSI and the Nurse Entrance Test (NET), which we also administer
to our new students.  My preference would be using both for four years, so
we can do some correlation studies for one class from matriculation to
graduation. We may decide we don't need to do both of them; but we're going
to pilot at least one more year--that was unanimous, too.
Linda

> ----------

PRIVACY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you're not the intended recipient, please
message and attachments.

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

December 2021
November 2021