SOCNET  November 2020

SOCNET November 2020

FW: Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Mon, 23 Nov 2020 10:45:47 -0500

text/plain

Some nice stuff here.

     Barry Wellman, FRSC               Director, NetLab Network
     Founder, International Network for Social Network Analysis

           Kyle Lowry is my spirit animal!
    Bit by bit, putting it together!--Sondheim
It's Always Something!--Roseanne Roseannadanna

Getting It Done; Getting It Out: A Practical Guide to Writing, Publishing, Presenting, and Promoting in the Social Sciences--coming in 2021 (Guilford Press)

Networked: The New Social Operating System  Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman (MIT Press)  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amzn.to_zXZg39&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=uFI0stCtU0v1NFutqPhS4d_qbIL0xiXK5WyyXzImh8U&e=

-----Original Message-----
From: Complexity Digest <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:04 AM
To: Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Dbf361ca06d-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=8fznme7YLlBHfmmg4dROj5JUq03yWFYm7J1QiA6uiaw&e=

Mobility network models of COVID-19 explain inequities and inform reopening

   Serina Chang, Emma Pierson, Pang Wei Koh, Jaline Gerardin, Beth Redbird, David Grusky & Jure Leskovec
Nature (2020)

The COVID-19 pandemic dramatically changed human mobility patterns, necessitating epidemiological models which capture the effects of changes in mobility on virus spread1. We introduce a metapopulation SEIR model that integrates fine-grained, dynamic mobility networks to simulate the spread of SARS-CoV-2 in 10 of the largest US metropolitan statistical areas. Derived from cell phone data, our mobility networks map the hourly movements of 98 million people from neighborhoods (census block groups, or CBGs) to points of interest (POIs) such as restaurants and religious establishments, connecting 57k CBGs to 553k POIs with 5.4 billion hourly edges. We show that by integrating these networks, a relatively simple SEIR model can accurately fit the real case trajectory, despite substantial changes in population behavior over time. Our model predicts that a small minority of “superspreader” POIs account for a large majority of infections and that restricting maximum occupancy at each POI is more
effective than uniformly reducing mobility. Our model also correctly predicts higher infection rates among disadvantaged racial and socioeconomic groups2–8 solely from differences in mobility: we find that disadvantaged groups have not been able to reduce mobility as sharply, and that the POIs they visit are more crowded and therefore higher-risk. By capturing who is infected at which locations, our model supports detailed analyses that can inform more effective and equitable policy responses to COVID-19.

Read the full article at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nature.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=MDTC65ANaMPZ6dBc0j4jtA-9qD1l-_DNsvpHoNgG59Y&e=  (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Dfa1bf3ec36-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=Hm_E1g7WRLbTLUe3pnLfi8anU3zPQ9QKXonLVK4Qj3c&e= )

The Computational Boundary of a “Self”: Developmental Bioelectricity Drives Multicellularity and Scale-Free Cognition

   Michael Levin

Front. Psychol

All epistemic agents physically consist of parts that must somehow comprise an integrated cognitive self. Biological individuals consist of subunits (organs, cells, and molecular networks) that are themselves complex and competent in their own native contexts. How do coherent biological Individuals result from the activity of smaller sub-agents? To understand the evolution and function of metazoan creatures’ bodies and minds, it is essential to conceptually explore the origin of multicellularity and the scaling of the basal cognition of individual cells into a coherent larger organism. In this article, I synthesize ideas in cognitive science, evolutionary biology, and developmental physiology toward a hypothesis about the origin of Individuality: “Scale-Free Cognition.” I propose a fundamental definition of an Individual based on the ability to pursue goals at an appropriate level of scale and organization and suggest a formalism for defining and comparing the cognitive capacities of highly
diverse types of agents. Any Self is demarcated by a computational surface – the spatio-temporal boundary of events that it can measure, model, and try to affect. This surface sets a functional boundary - a cognitive “light cone” which defines the scale and limits of its cognition. I hypothesize that higher level goal-directed activity and agency, resulting in larger cognitive boundaries, evolve from the primal homeostatic drive of living things to reduce stress – the difference between current conditions and life-optimal conditions. The mechanisms of developmental bioelectricity - the ability of all cells to form electrical networks that process information - suggest a plausible set of gradual evolutionary steps that naturally lead from physiological homeostasis in single cells to memory, prediction, and ultimately complex cognitive agents, via scale-up of the basic drive of infotaxis. Recent data on the molecular mechanisms of pre-neural bioelectricity suggest a model of how increasingly
sophisticated cognitive functions emerge smoothly from cell-cell communication used to guide embryogenesis and regeneration. This set of hypotheses provides a novel perspective on numerous phenomena, such as cancer, and makes several unique, testable predictions for interdisciplinary research that have implications not only for evolutionary developmental biology but also for biomedicine and perhaps artificial intelligence and exobiology.

Read the full article at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.frontiersin.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=0gcOS7oDAa7TOWTZJm1pt35SkZBNlYr6oXIjgodEjGo&e=  (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D40cc693ef7-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=3XGagKCxor8D-P9kyKWhgGdu5jVBmstDIizJVAhcl78&e= )

Conference on Complex Systems 2020 – online

   We are looking up to a very exciting Conference.
There are 20 world-class famous plenary/invited speakers.
There are over 325 accepted presentations, in oral, lightning, and poster presentations.
Over 55 countries are represented, more than any previous CCS meeting.

A round table discussion on COVID-19 is currently being planned with well-known participants.
Representatives from Journals of the European Physical Society and Complexity
will present information to all prospective authors.

On Friday December 4, a very exciting session is planned for young researchers,
with tutorials, didactic presentations, contests, puzzles, etc. etc All registered participants
in CCS2020 may attend !

More at: ccs2020.web.auth.gr (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D6a880c2742-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=woxoL0NptUBnUYBi1lM7RfJvaxYbSQMANvF3gUOwfm0&e= )

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Df355a1d0ae-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=uwwmK7V5zMV-CL9FoO2DQDAshKYUbN9QhER9LWrnusE&s=klh8d1KwxkeQJlZzaRPyi39jmtXC9PsFCQ1xH7m_zuA&e=  ) and using the "Suggest" button.