]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  January 2010

SOCNET January 2010

Re: FW: Encyclopedia of Social Networking

Christophe Prieur <[log in to unmask]>

Christophe Prieur <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:01:05 +0100

text/plain

> SAGE wants academics to be monkeys dancing for peanuts.

The image is quite efficient.

And the blatant relevance of you point is striking me especially today.
Earlier this afternoon I've spent 1/4h to get through to a 3-page pdf
of an article written in... 1945, to which i couldn't get access
because Elsevier asked me a password for it although i was already
accessing Elsevier through a charged gateway, but i guess my
institution didn't check whether what they pay for hungry editors'
package deals gives actual access to all the resources these outdated
vampires claim it does.

So Sage wants to run a last-ditch struggle and get the highest lot of
cash before some bunch of clever academics (and even a few
professional editors, who knows?) manages at last an implementation of
the (quite old now) digital revolution to the (older) academic world.

A shame to see so nice a project (an encyclopedia of social
networking) led from its very beginning in a way that makes it
obsolete if not totally useless.

Why decide today to produce science and knowledge that will not likely
be public domain before ages?

_
   Christophe Prieur,                                        [log in to unmask]
   Liafa, Université Paris-Diderot                    http://liafa.jussieu.fr/~prieur/
   [user experience research, social networks, (large) graph algorithms]