]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  December 2004

SOCNET December 2004

On Math, Computation, Estimation and Geography

Elenna Dugundji <[log in to unmask]>

Elenna Dugundji <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:32:46 +0100

text/plain

Hi Moses and other Socnetters,

I tend to be a little shy about posting messages to
(very) large groups of people of whom I don't know,
but this time I thought maybe I might speak up...

Like you, Moses, I too am a fan of Liggett and Kemeny.
Last year at Sunbelt, Laszlo Gulyas and I
presented a paper where we have done just as you
propose below: namely couple computational simulations
with analytical mathematical results.
Skye Bender-de Moll commented how much he liked our
dual approach and suggested that we submit a paper
for JASSS on this. Hopefully Gulya and I will find
time to do this very soon (although both of us are
a little distracted with the end stages of PhD
dissertations these days). BTW to follow onto the
original thread of these mails: the multi-agent
simulation is coded in RePast.

That said, and here speaking as a mathematician,
I find there are indeed limits to what can be achieved
with an elegant analytical approach. For one, if you
want to consider something as simple as truly heterogeneous
agents, which can be an obvious thing to want to consider
with social models, an analytical approach can
quickly become untractable. In an extreme case, you
might have, say, a system of as many partial differential
equations to solve as the number of heterogenous agents times
the number of behaviors. To solve this analytically
simplifications would often need to be made. This is
what is done in the presentation last year at Sunbelt,
however, at best this can only be a benchmark.

It is still important, I agree with you wholly, because
it gives you some idea of the "ballpark," however
a system can behave quite differently with heterogeneity
as Gulya and I have found in our computational results.

As long as I am writing, I should probably also add a comment
to Marshall van Alstyne's recent post: Joan Walker and I have
done some work on separating out true state dependence
(agents directly influencing other agents' behavior)
from "spurious" state dependence (agents behaving the
same way because they happen to be influenced by the
same factors unobserved by the researcher). We will
present this at Sunbelt this year, so please stay tuned!

To add a comment to Ting Li's recent post: All of the above,
have an empirical application to transportation mode choice.
Last year's sunbelt presentation was also presented at
the 10th World Conference on Transportation Research
in a slightly different version, and this year's prospective
one will also be presented with a more domain-oriented
"take" at the Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting.

Finally a note regarding Barry Wellman's post on "networks
and geographical distance": Because the application is
transportation mode choice, and geography is so fundamentally
inherent to many questions regarding transportation, plus
there is a long tradition of dealing with geography in
transportation, the network considered is certainly a
"socio-spatial" one. People at the Sunbelt presentation
last year would remember the GIS graphics and the abstraction
of that in Payek, with many kind thanks to Vlado & Andrej!

Best regards,
Elenna Dugundji

| Elenna R. Dugundji
| AMIDSt - Amsterdam Institute for Metropolitan & International
Development Studies