The UFPD is currently investigating a sexual battery that was reported to have occurred Saturday night sometime between 8:00pm and 10:00pm on the University of Florida campus.
The delayed reporting of this incident was provided to the UFPD by a food services employee supervisor to whom the victim confided. The victim currently does not want to report the matter to law enforcement. The reporting person indicated that the victim disclosed that she was in the area of alleyway north of the Florida Gym and south of the Student Recreation and Fitness Center when an unknown male assailant came up from behind her and sexually battered her. The victim was unable to provide any suspect description or additional details of the incident to the reporting person.
In the interest of public safety, the UFPD is notifying the community of this incident. Additionally, anyone with information about the incident, was in the area at the time, or who may know the man’s identity is asked to call the University of Florida Police Department at 352.392-1111 or use the UFPD Silent Witness link at: https://police.ufl.edu/contact/silent-witness/ . Those who wish to remain anonymous can also call Crime Stoppers at 352.372.STOP (7867).
The UFPD firmly believes that crime is never the fault of the victim. These general safety tips are provided in an effort to assist members of the UF community.
Please report criminal incident and suspicious activities/individuals immediately to law enforcement by calling 9-1-1.
If at all possible, walk and/or stay with known acquaintances until you arrive safely home
Avoid walking alone if at all possible.
Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. This is particularly true if you are wearing headphones and may not be able to hear someone near or behind you.
If someone bothers you, don't be embarrassed to attract attention to yourself. Yell!
Stay in well-lighted areas, away from alleys, bushes, and entryways.
If a driver stops to ask directions, avoid getting close to the individual or vehicle.
If a vehicle appears to be following you, turn and walk in the opposite direction. You should go to a location where other people are and get assistance.
Always try to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return
For immediate life-safety concerns dial 9-1-1. This is an automated UF Alert system message. This email account is not actively monitored for replies.
- UF students, faculty and staff can update their contact information or subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalert.
- UF Health staff can update their contact information and subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalertshands.
- Learn more about UF Alert, including FAQs at http://ufalert.ufl.edu/ .
- Download the GatorSafe app on your mobile device at http://ufl.to/gatorsafe.
- Learn more about the UF Office of Victim Services at https://police.ufl.edu/about/divisions/office-of-victim-services/
Non-Emergency Contact Numbers:
- UF Police Department: 352-392-1111 (UF Alert-Gainesville)
- UF Health Shands Hospital Contact Center: 352-265-0111 (UF Alert-Shands)
- UF Office of Victim Services: 352-5648 (Monday-Friday, 8-00am–500pm) or 352-392-1111 (after-hours)