The UFPD is currently investigating a residential burglary and battery incident that took place Sunday morning, at approximately 4:50am within Simpson Hall on the University of Florida campus.
According to the initial reporting person, she was in the stairwell heading towards her floor (the 4th floor) of Simpson Hall when she noticed an unknown male enter on the 3rd floor and began to follow her. She then entered her floor, let the individual pass, returned to her room and called 9-1-1. It was later discovered that the unknown male entered the room of two other female residence members on the 4th floor. The residence members immediately questioned why he entered their room and told him to leave. After a brief discussion regarding the potential that he was in the wrong room, the unknown male then walked by each residence member as he was leaving, touched them on their legs, and ran out of their room. A search of the area was conducted with negative results.
The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 6' 02" wearing a white shirt and blue pajama pants. He was also said to have a “fade haircut” and was last seen wearing an Apple watch on one wrist and orange band on the other.
Anyone with information about the incident or who may know the suspects identity is asked to call the University of Florida Police Department at 352-392-1111. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP (7867) or through the UFPD Silent Witness program located at: http://www.police.ufl.edu/wp-content/asp/secure_ufpd/silent_witness.aspx .
The UFPD firmly believes that crime is never the fault of the victim. These general safety tips are provided in an effort to assist members of the UF community.
Immediately report criminal incident and suspicious activities/individuals to law enforcement by calling 9-1-1
Always lock your residence doors, even if you are in a secure housing facility.
Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. This is particularly true if you are wearing headphones and may not be able to hear someone near or behind you.
If someone bothers you, don't be embarrassed to attract attention to yourself. Yell!
For immediate life-safety concerns dial 9-1-1. This is an automated UF Alert system message. This email account is not actively monitored for replies.
- UF students, faculty and staff can update their contact information or subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalert.
- UF Health staff can update their contact information and subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalertshands.
- Learn more about UF Alert, including FAQs at http://ufalert.ufl.edu/ .
- Download the GatorSafe app on your mobile device at http://ufl.to/gatorsafe.
- Learn more about the UF Office of Victim Services at https://police.ufl.edu/about/divisions/office-of-victim-services/
Non-Emergency Contact Numbers:
- UF Police Department: 352-392-1111 (UF Alert-Gainesville)
- UF Health Shands Hospital Contact Center: 352-265-0111 (UF Alert-Shands)
- UF Office of Victim Services: 352-5648 (Monday-Friday, 8-00am–500pm) or 352-392-1111 (after-hours)