The University of Florida Police Department (UFPD) is investigating a battery incident that was reported to have occurred in the University of Florida’s Garage # 2. On Sunday, October 28th, 2018 at approximately 9:14pm. According to the victim, she was in the stairwell of the 2nd floor of the garage walking to her vehicle when the suspect came from behind, grabbed her wrist and pulled her backward. The victim said she struck the suspect twice in the face after which he ran down the stairwell and left the area on foot. At no time did the suspect brandish or indicate he had a weapon during this incident.
The suspect in this incident was a male of unknown race with blue eyes, tall, medium build, wearing all black including a black ski mask and black gloves.
Anyone with information about the incident or who may know the suspects’ identity is asked to call the University of Florida Police Department at 352.392.1111. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 352.372.STOP (7867) or use the UFPD Silent Witness program at http://www.police.ufl.edu/wp-content/asp/secure_ufpd/silent_witness.aspx.
The UFPD recognizes that violence of this nature is not the fault of the victim. The UFPD would however like to remind everyone of these safety considerations:
Report suspicious activities or individuals immediately using 9.1.1
Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. This is particularly true if you are wearing headphones and may not be able to hear someone near or behind you.
If someone bothers you, don't be embarrassed to attract attention to yourself. Yell!
Avoid walking alone if at all possible.
If someone stops and asks for directions, avoid getting close to the individual.
For immediate life-safety concerns dial 9-1-1. This is an automated UF Alert system message. This email account is not actively monitored for replies.
- UF students, faculty and staff can update their contact information or subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalert.
- UF Health staff can update their contact information and subscription preferences at http://ufl.to/editufalertshands.
- Learn more about UF Alert, including FAQs at http://ufalert.ufl.edu/ .
- Download the GatorSafe app on your mobile device at http://ufl.to/gatorsafe.
Non-Emergency Contact Numbers:
- UF Police Department: 352-392-1111 (UF Alert-Gainesville)
- UF Health Shands Hospital Contact Center: 352-265-0111 (UF Alert-Shands)