Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Learning Support for Distance Learners

"Gary K. Probst" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 05:56:20 -0500

text/plain

Gary Probst replied:

For my developmental reading class I have written an interactive reading course.  The students apply all of the work to the courses they are taking or plan to take.  Some apply it to learning information about their job.
These worksheets are mailed to me.  If they have any questions they send me an email message.  I will email back or call them.

I have copied this from my syllabus for developmental math.  Students in my online class receive they receive support from the following ways:

Technical Assistance:  It is not unusual to have trouble  Reachout the first time.  For expert assistance in how to use these programs, call Mr. Raymond Tillery at 301.322.0996.  He is available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday
through Friday.  Like all computer programs, using them becomes automatic with frequent use!  A computer technician is also available during the evening.  Call Mr. Tillery to make an appointment.

Assistance:  Prince George's Community College provides many different ways a student can receive instruction in this individualized on-line class.

1. VCR lectures on each chapter in the textbook
These tapes can be viewed or checked out in M2129.   I would highly recommend all students view these excellent lectures before starting to do the practice exercises in each chapter.

2. PGCC Cable Television Channels 24A & 25B   Math Lectures
Lectures on each chapter in the Basic Mathematics and Algebra textbook are given on cable television.   These lectures can be taped.  These lectures are on VCR tapes in M2129.

3.    Computer-assisted instruction on each unit in the textbook
By using the program on the Reachout disk, you can use your computerís modem to call the Marlboro Learning Lab.  If you are having trouble understanding how to use these instructional programs, contact the mathematics
instructional coordinator in the Marlboro Learning Lab for assistance.  For telephone help or to make an appointment, call 301.322.0503.   The Reachout disk must be returned to the learning lab in M2129 at the end of the
semester.

4. Interactive CD for the textbooks
For the Basic Mathematics text an excellent interactive CD is available in the college
Bookstore.  The content of the CD is integrated with each exercise in the textbook.
                      The cost is approximately $25 for the CD.  The CD also would be good supplementary
                      material for anyone who has children in public school.  Call the college bookstore
                      301.322.0912 to check on availability or to place an order.

5. Internet
For the textbook BASIC MATHEMATICS a Web site provides additional practice for
each exercise in the textbook.   http://www.mathmax.com

6.  Walk in tutor in Accokeek Hall, Room 310
Tutors are available to help you solve a minor problem.  Bring all relevant material with
you.  The hours of operation are as follows:
  Monday through Thursday . . .  8a.m.-2p.m. and 5p.m.-9:30p.m.
  Friday . . . .  9a.m.-2p.m.
  Saturday  . . 9a.m.-2p.m.

 7.   Individual tutoring session in the Tutoring Center in Accokeek Hall
Two hours of private individual tutoring a week is available to students needing assistance in understanding the information in any chapter.  This assistance is free to students who are enrolled in this course!!!  The
tutoring center is on the third floor of the Accokeek Hall (the
Library).   Appointments are required.   Call 301.322.0748 or go the front desk on the third
floor for an appointment.

 8.   Send the instructor an e-mail request asking for an appointment
  If after trying all of the above ways to receive help and you are still having a problem, send
  the instructor an e-mail about the problem you are having with the class.  I will immediately
  be in contact with you.

Mary Branham wrote:

> I'm very interested in what other universities are doing to provide learning support for web courses (WebCT).  If you've got a model that's been shown to improve both student achievement and retention, please contact me.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Lynne Branham
> University of Central Florida
> Student Academic Resource Center