Skip repetitive navigational links

Paying tutors

Rochelle Butler <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:31:11 -0500

text/plain

Good Morning!
I am new to the listserve.  My name is Rochelle Butler.  I direct the
Learning Center at Maryville College in Tennessee.  Today, I would love your
input on this question regarding tutors.  My tutors complete a 1 credit hour
class when they start tutoring.  Any semester after taking the class, they
can still tutor for my office and I pay them for their time.  This year,
someone at our institution did not closely monitor the federal work study
vs. institutional work study.  Therefore we are out of institutional work
study.  The work study office is proposing that only people who are on
federal work study will be allowed to work for the rest of the year.  If
this proposal gets accepted, this puts me in a tough situation.  All my
tutors are trained, I will not be able to find federal work study students
to replace my students who are institutional work study.  This may mean that
some students will have to go without tutoring for the rest of the semester.
Any advice on how I can get the administration to continue supporting
tutoring even if we have to look at different budgets to support it?  Would
there be any legal liabilities to not providing as much tutoring for the
rest of the semester?
Thanks in advance for your support!
Rochelle Butler
-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of James Valkenburg
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 2:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Questions regarding peer tutoring programs

Laura Ferrari wrote:

> > My questions are as follows:
> >
> > 1. What type of tutoring program do you have: drop-in, appointment
> > based or a combination thereof?

> A combination, but predominately walk-in.
> >
> > 2. How are your clients matched with tutors?

When a regularly scheduled tutor is not available for a certain class, we
look
for a tutor to work with the specific course needs of the student.  Those
meetings are scheduled.

> > 3. On average, how many hours of tutoring do your individual clients
> > receive during a given semester?

The average contact per student is 5.8 hours.

> > 4. What percentage of your clients who are matched with tutors never
> > receive tutoring service?

None

> > 5. Do you use peer tutors to help you run your
> > program or train other employees? If so, in what capacity?

Yes.  We use them on panels and to show new employees a series of how tos:
paper
work, communicate wiht students, work with faculty.  The primary impetus of
training is, however, from the professional staff.

> > 6. How many tutors do you have on staff?  How many administrators?

70 students; 11 clerical, 19 tutors, 5 study group facilitators, 35 peer
mentors/SLA facilitators

>   7. How many students use peer tutoring in a given semester
> (non-duplicated)?

Roughly 1000 students use PM each semester; however, development of other
small
group study models has reduced that number while increasing overall usage of
all
small group programs.

> > 8. Finally, what is the profile of your school? (i.e., urban or rural,
> > number of students, degree levels offered)

Approximately 9000 students in a rural community college offering
Associate's
degrees and certificate programs.

October 2020
September 2020