Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Tutor Training Exercises

"(Karin WInnard)" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:58:36 EDT

text/plain

Kim McDonald and Fellow Colleagues

I just wanted to let you know Kim, that I don't think your request for training material is ill- timed. I do think that what unfortunately happens too often in our field is that people are afraid to put their ideas out in the world for fear they might not be good enough or sound ridiculous or whatever.

So I have a challenge for my colleagues (except for the 2 that did provide information-- thank you! ). For each one of you who made a request to be put on the "send me training information"list, why don't you share one training exercise on the listserve and then proudly put your name on the list. Then the next person who wants training info. does the same, and so on and so on. If all the people who had requested training exercise information would have does this initially, Kim and everyone else I believe, might be well satisfied!

So to start the ball rolling, I would like to provide you with a training exercise I found and adapted to my needs.

I use the "Name Game" to establish rapport and demonstrate how the memory works. Exercise works well with 18+ people.

Directions #1: Think of something you like that begins with the first letter of your first name. Keep it clean and no sex, drugs or rock n'roll (what's that?).:)

Ask for a volunteer. And they now get rewarded by starting the name game and feeling relieved they aren't the last one.

Directions #2: I now start. My name is Karin and I like Kites. The volunteer repeats my name and what I like and then repeats his/her name and what she likes. The person next to him/her says my name and what I like, the volunteer's name and what s/he likes, and then says their name and what they like. And so forth and so on.

Now you know the last person in the room is sweating. And you know there are people who have just put their own roadblocks up ("I'm terrible with names"; "I am going to look like a jerk in front of everyone", etc.)
Of course what starts happening is that if the student tries, s/he will not fail.

Around the 7th person, if they look like they've got it made, I interupt the flow. I ask them how they are doing and what they ate for lunch, what they did last night, or some sort of ridiculous thing. I then explain that this is what is called an interrupt and that when it happens prior to 20 minutes of studying, most information that was read or written down goes flying out of their brains unless --------- takes place.
(Practice). I equivocate it to a friend asking them to go dinner or a phonecall coming in when they are in the midst of studying time. I do little things like this throughout the exercise. I address why someone can't remember the last name said and blame it on not hearing (when lack of practice is the real culprit), Miller's 7+ or - 2 theory, test anxiety (standing behind a person and talking over them and then they lose it until I move away or say some encouraging words.) The part I love in this exercise is when a student breaks through their "I can't do this" or "I am no good at this" and shifts their frame of reference so that they DO do it. I love when someone is stuck and someone else wants to give the answer. I then quickly talk about how it takes some people a little more time to locate the answer and as with a tutee, we are best to sit and wait. ETC.

There may be a demonstration of this exercise at the CRLA Conference in Reno as part of the ITCP presentation. And then of course, there may be another exercise.

Finally, the exercise brings in all kinds of little lessons regarding memory, self- esteem, "ganas" (desire/motivation), and frame of reference shift, to name a few.

When I have done this workshop for student orientation, months later people would stop me and say "Hey, you are Karin and you like Kites!" and I would laugh, ask them to pantomime what they liked, and we both would end up laughing. (I recruited more tutors from that workshop who saw me a year later to apply for work then I ever imagined.)

Anyway, enough of this. So the ball is continuing to roll. I hope most of you will pick up this challenge and share some of your ideas.

If you have questions about this exercise, please feel free to contact me off line and I will give you my work number.

Hope this helps you out Kim.

Karin Winnard
Associate Director
Ballotti Learning Center