]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  May 2000

RECMGMT-L May 2000

Re: For CRM's OR those who choose not to be

Harry Paget <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 May 2000 21:08:17 CDT

text/plain

Kerrie,

It is probably no accident that there is a paucity of published material
where the CRM designation is concerned.  On a lark, I went to the Internet
and did a search, and other than the official ICRM site, most mentions of
the CRM have to do with someone - usually a vendor/consultant - hawking
his/her qualifications, the underlying assumption being that "CRM" implies
"qualified".  Unofficially, I believe that Steve Whitaker is the principal
shill for the CRM, and I have a certain vague recollection of a masterful
post he wrote maybe two years ago about why one ought to become a CRM;
perhaps you can find it in the recmgmt archives.  In my search, I also found
a piece by Joanna Blackburn [http://www.armaomaha.org/page7.htm] which also
gives some information about the purported efficacy of obtaining the
certification.  And yet another, by Barbara D. Volkov
[http://www.filepros.com/fp_topfive.htm] gives an entirely different
perspective. In my research, only the nuclear industry appears to attach any
strong importance to the designation
[http://www.nirma.org/membership/businessunits/prodev.html].

I myself have seen it appearing with more frequency in job ads, but usually
as a "preferred" component of a potential applicant's qualification suite,
as opposed to an iron-clad requirement.  This, too, I suspect, is not an
accident.  I also suspect that the overwhelming majority of Human Resources
professionals who are tasked with hiring (as opposed to those who deal with
benefits, policy, compensation, etc.) do not have the slightest idea what
the initials "CRM" stand for, nor could they put together a coherent
three-sentence paragraph that would indicate any understanding about the
certification whatsoever.

Your chosen topic is intriguing inasmuch as it seems to indicate that how
Australia chooses to perceive the records management profession might be in
some way influenced by how that same profession is perceived in America.  I
am compelled to observe that in other areas where there is a decided
established American "model", Australia has chosen to proceed down a
decidedly different path, but of course I am here principally referring to
hectoring crocodiles and venomous snakes, which is looked at askance over
here.

At the same time, I think you may have formed an inaccurate perception about
how widespread the CRM certification is among records professionals in
America.  I could not find any precise figures on how many records
professionals have actually earned the certification, but if one figures
that each year, approximately 25 new persons are so anointed, and that the
ICRM was founded in 1975, we're only looking at a population of between 600
and 700; ARMA claims to have 10,000 members, and who knows but that there
might be a few dozen records people out there who are not ARMA members; I in
fact preside over a department of 9, of whom 7 are not ARMA members, for
example.  My impression is that CRMs do not represent more than 2 - 4% of
the total population of records professionals.

My personal opinion is that the certification is probably not a bad thing -
which impression I owe entirely to Mr. Whitaker's post referenced above -,
but it is by no means a necessary thing.  I have in the not-too-distant past
had this conversation with three separate CRMs - all of them wimmen, thank
you, Mr. King, - and all three said that it was a nuisance, that a great
deal of the process and curriculum was useless, not germane to the real
world of RM, and probably designed principally to annoy certification
candidates, but interestingly enough, the same three all said they were very
glad they did it, would do it again, urged me to do it, always make certain
that they get all the required re-certification points each year, and most
of all, FELT better about themselves for having done it.  Note that while
all three were temperamentally disposed to freely admit that the FEELING of
accomplishment was in and of itself enough to justify the considerable
aggravation they each apparently endured, the same three absolutely
pooh-poohed the notion that the certification had imparted to them any
deeper understanding of RM or made them any better records managers from a
technical standpoint.  I should add that they themselves felt that the
warmer FEELING about themselves which was attributable to their respective
accomplishment probably DID make them better employees.  What this says
about the CRM - or about records managers - or about wimmen - is open to
debate.  By the by, one CRM definitely felt that the certification had had a
positive effect on her compensation, one felt that it may have, and one
laughed; it was rather a lyrical laugh.

I see no evidence that the certification is soon to be elevated to the level
of a requirement.  I think it much more likely that employers would insist
that Records people use back braces when lifting boxes. I feel that most
employers would welcome an employee with a college degree, with a
post-graduate degree, or with a professional certification.  I also feel
that MOST employers would not be keen on footing the bill for the
certification, but would probably support the employee's needed time
requirements by allowing some work schedule flexibility.

If there is no Australian equivalent of the CRM, you probably need to ask
yourself why that is.  Perhaps the necessary gestation period for adequate
contamination by American silliness has not yet been met.  Although we HAVE
been saying for years "See that crocodile?  Don't pull his tail."

You may end up having to massage your proposed thesis somewhat, inasmuch as
it certainly appears that the US model for the certification of records
managers is not at all robust.  I must disagree with Mr. King's suggestion
that you "cast your net a bit wider to ground your research proposal.  That
is, I would turn to the sociological studies on professionalism; on how
organizations (groups) structure themselves (through education credentials,
professional organizations, etc.) or try to position themselves  as
"professionals" ", since you are after all, seeking a degree in Records
Management, not sociology, and taking the rest of his post too much to heart
will likely result in your faculty coming to perceive you as some sort of
double-breasted Trotskyite, although your interest in hussars and
horsemanship would seem to belie that.  One possibility would simply be a
paper that concludes that the certification of records managers is, when all
is said and done, small beer.

I am not a CRM, by the way.

As an aside to Dick, good heavens, man, what are YOU trolling for?

"...  Here is an area that was originally (if not still) seen as women's
work (as was teaching).  Women could be marginalized into these careers and
kept from the male dominated business world.   ...  I don't know that RM was
initially considered women's work but I do know from experience that the
person in the enterprise that is usually given charge of "records" is the
closest female clerk or secretary.  Play back the archives of this list and
count up the number of "please help" inquiries from women who have been told
to go manage the records and offered no training. ...  The countervailing
force is to keep compensation low, make it women's work and keep it
devalued. ...  Now I'm not saying that certification is bad or unnecessary
but one needs to look at who gets excluded in the long run.  Be interesting
to look at the gender break distribution of current CRMs. ... two cents
worth only. ...Dick King, University of Arizona.    "

My dear Dick, if you get in any more touch with your feminine side, you'll
have to slap your own face, call yourself a "brute", and bring yourself up
on charges of sexual harassment, if not outright "frequenting a bawdy
house".  You GO, girl!  Wimmen of the World, Unite!  The only thing missing
from this litany was "my wife doesn’t understand me" and "if I said you had
a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"  Why, Dick; you old
slyboots!

Let me know if you get any nibbles, though….

Harry F. Paget

----------
Dear CRM's

I am currently doing me degree (final year, yipee) in Records Management
through Curtin University in Western Australia and am preparing a RESEARCH
PROPOSAL suitable for the production of a thesis.

The topic I have chosen to study (with tutor approval) is:

What effects will the certification of records managers, based on the US
model, have on Australian records managers and Australian records
management?

Whilst waiting for this information to arrive, I have also
conductedliterature searches but found very (and I mean very little) little
published material.  I hope I am wrong.

To this end, I now seek your urgent assistance and support in the provision
of certain information.

What I require is:

1.  Emailing or faxing any such published or unpublished information you may
have on this topic.
2.  A web URL which may point me to such information.
3.  The sharing of your general feelings about the:
        -       Certification process/exam process itself
        -       Has certification made any impact on your salary or your
'credibility'
        -       Any shortcomings about certification
        -       Any distinct benefits of certification
        -       If not a CRM.....why?
        -       Anything else you think is important

Look forward to receiving information (something/anything) from you.  Many
thanks in advance.

Desperate and Informationless!

Regards,

Kerrie Monzo