]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  May 2000

RECMGMT-L May 2000

Electronic journal for Records Management

Marc Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 May 2000 08:27:56 -0700

text/plain

On May 4 I mentioned to the listserv that
I was in the planning stages of publishing
an E-journal for RM.  While we are still working
out some of the details of format, editing, and
frequency of publication for this journal, along with
certain other legal niceties, the basic premise
remains
the same: our perception of this venture is that it
will provide a venue for the publication of RM-related

issues from any or all points on the RM spectrum
by persons wishing to write and to share about their
own particular area of expertise, but who find the
process of publishing through the more conventional
means of existing publications either too daunting or
perhaps too far removed from the practical world of
RM.

Our project has entered the market research phase.  We
are soliciting not articles but article *proposals* at

the address [log in to unmask]  Our purpose is
to establish that we have enough would-be authors
to make this a viable product.  If you would
like to write an article, please send us a
message briefly describing your topic, its scope, a
projected word-count, and date of availability.

Based on your input we will make our decision on
when to launch, and possibly frequency of
publication.

Below are criteria for acceptable submissions.  You
should use them to determine if your topic is
appropriate, and if we accept your proposal, the
journalistic level of expectation you will have
to meet to have an article published.

Marc Wolfe
Publisher, Records Management E-Journal

The requirements which have to be met in order to have

an article published are, we think, substantially
fewer
than you will encounter from other publications.
Principally, these requirements are as follows:

1.  Your topic MUST be RM-related.  We will use a
very liberally defined lens to examine submissions,
and we acknowledge willingly and gladly that RM
is a multi-faceted persuasion/profession, so much so
that one would almost have to intentionally TRY in
order to come up with some topic which was not
in some way, shape, or form RM-related; and no doubt
someone will.  We won't be publishing it unless
it has demonstrable RM connotations.

2.  Your work must be your work.  Co-author and
collaborate with whom you will, but plagiarism and
other forms of thievery will of course not be
tolerated.

3.  A passion for your topic is expected; libel and
slander, however, are two passions we must do without.

 Ad hominem attacks, even when they fall well within
the parameters of non-libelous, non-slanderous
ntellectual debate, are going to be perceived by the
readership as personal vendettas and consequently
boring, so we ask that you adhere to passion to your
heart's content, but to keep it "Marquis of
Queensberry": no punching below the belt, no
blind-siding.

4.  Experience and instincts are valuable assets of
all
Records Managers, and opinion is first cousin to both.

 Therefore, we do not preclude from publication an
article which relies very strongly on one's own
personal experiences and opinions.  We do require at
least a nodding acquaintance with elementary logic
insofar as stated conclusions are concerned, but this
does not suggest that we must AGREE with either the
conclusions themselves or the opinions that went into
their formation, only that they must make sense to the

reader.

5.  Lengthwise, our only requirement is that you be
reasonable and that you do not ramble.  Think in terms

of the listserv; in that venue, the idea is now and
always has been to make a large salient point with a
small number of words; of course, not everyone has
always managed to actually DO this.  In this forum,
however, articles should be as long as is necessary to

make your point, to illustrate it with an appropriate
number of hypothetical examples and/or real-life
experiences, and to form either some convincing
conclusions or some thought-provoking questions.  If
that can be done in 2,000 words, so be it; if it
cannot
be done in less than 20,000 words, so be that, too.

6.  The purpose of communication is to make an
understandable point, the operative word being
"understandable".  The reader will want to be spoken
as a peer, as a colleague, even perhaps as a friend.
He/she will not want to have to wade through reams of
pseudo-intellectual puffery in order to determine what

you are talking about, and no doubt will not consent
do so.  Therefore, we ask that you employ common,
everyday English, and that you in fact BE
"understandable".  To that end, we will have your
articles read in advance, and we reserve - indeed,
insist on - the right to make suggestions which we
feel
will make your article more "understandable".
This should in no way be perceived as implied
censorship as to content or conclusions; only that we
wish to produce a journal that is readable.

If the intellectual and creative needs of the RM
community were already being met by the existing
forums
and publications of that same community, we would not
be contemplating embarking on this project.  However,
past discussions, some of them quite recent, have
brought to the forefront a certain feeling of
discontent from some members of the profession - or in
any event from some subscribers to the Recmgmt
listserv
- where these aforementioned forums and publications
are concerned, and that is the niche we hope to
address
with this journal: topics of day-to-day concern to RMs
everywhere, written by RMs who have considerable
experience - real-life, NOT hypothetical - where those

same topics are concerned, and who have both a desire
to memorialize their respective professional
experiences in writing, AND to share it with their
colleagues in the profession, in the spirit of
collegiality and of furthering the prestige and
influence of Records Management in the broader
community of the business world at large.

Jerome Kendall
Managing Editor, Records Management E-Journal