]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  May 2000

RECMGMT-L May 2000

Be Careful with Word Document Metadata and Adobe Acrobat

John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 May 2000 10:51:04 -0400

text/plain

The advice contained in this posting (listed below) is good for the most
part. When PDF files are created, new metadata is asked for during the
creation of the PDF file. The Microsoft Word metadata does not make the
transition, thus eliminating some sensitive data.

However, you might want to think about a few things:

1) Is the Word document "copy" into PDF without the original metadata a
true authentic copy of the document for records purposes? Possibly not, for
evidentiary purposes.

2) Adding the required individual software licenses of Adobe at $200 per
seat is expensive.

3) It is possible to change much of the metadata in the Properties facility
of Word when the "final" copy of the document is created for distribution
(at no additional software cost.)

4) Adobe Acrobat does not always make a clean and true "copy" of the
original. Sometimes formatting changes may occur, and I have had some
particular problems with the alteration of the appearance of graphics in
files.  This is especially true in PowerPoint to Adobe PDF transitions -
slide backgrounds can change from blue to black, graphic objects appear in
the PDF files with highlighted backgrounds, and some graphics are just
difficult to see. The only way to know if this has happened is to
individually inspect and compare each slide between the PowerPoint document
and the Adobe PDF document, which can be time-consuming. Be careful.

Adobe is probably the best and most cost-effective solution to this
challenge today, and I increasingly use this option for presentation of Web
postings and document distribution. However, it is not perfect.

John Phillips

Original Posting:

John T. Phillips
Information Technology Decisions