RECMGMT-L May 2000

Re: CRM debate

Harry Paget <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 May 2000 22:07:37 CDT

text/plain

Kerrie,

I am unsure as to whether I am "entertaining and insightful as always", or
if I am "as always, WRONG on a few points".   In any event, I am delighted
to concede that the quality of Mr. Lowry’s scientific wild-ass guesses is
just as good - or as bad - as my own, and believe that he is entitled to
them.  (Most New Yorkers will probably be rounded up and executed by That
Woman right around the Thanksgiving holidays anyway, so it won’t matter,
although I will miss one of them; but just the one; she’s a peach.)

However, as I noted earlier, I have personally not yet seen an ad that
suggests that prospective applicants for any job in the records profession
are REQUIRED to have the CRM certification, and for that matter, if and when
I do see such an advertisement, I have no doubt but that it will have been
inserted into said advertisement by another CRM; the Loyal Order of Moose
will of course prefer other Meese, over, say, the Junior Woodchucks.  I will
gladly take the word of anyone who avers that he/she has seen such "CRM
only" ads.  I am also confident that most organizations will not just say
"oh, well, to hell with RM, then" when they find out that there are not
enough of the CRMs to go around, and will instead make do with a non-CRM, no
matter what sort of cloven-hoofed mouth-breathing fez-wearing cud-chewing
zygote he or she may be, and never mind inquiring from which steamy, gooey
ranks the CRMs issue forth in the first place.  As for cutting down on the
number of resumes that HR people must laboriously sort through, "Yale grads
who aren’t drunks", "the Irish need not apply", and "no chicks with
attitudes" would probably cull out some paperwork, too, not to mention
underscoring a screaming need for a Certified Human Resources Drone program.
  But wouldn't the Good & Noble Whitaker be crestfallen if he thought that
the principal benefit of the CRM certificate was that it cut down on HR
clerk sorting time!  Surely its efficacy can be expressed more eloquently
than this.  And has been.  Note also, that for NASA to insist that any
prospective astronauts be certified in physics and aerodynamic engineering
is one thing; to suggest that only a rosy-cheeked CRM can manage records is
quite another.  Whenever this discussion cranks up again, as it inevitably
will, you will note how the CRMs who post on the topic go such great lengths
to avoid claiming that they are more highly qualified than the non-CRMs; see
the Good & Noble Lowry's own comment ("nor do I believe that a CRM is
necessarily a better RM.").  Perhaps in the end it is not about becoming
more qualified than someone else, but rather on becoming as qualified as you
yourself can be.  Not everyone believes that the CRM progam is the best way
to achieve this.

If one wishes to go on a paper tiger safari, first one must whip out the
origami books and do some serious folding and creasing; we shall call Mr.
Lowry ‘Bwana’.  I have looked through your post several times, Kerrie, and I
see no attempt to incite a newer, fresher riot over the CRM program.  In any
event, I don't intend to get drawn into one, inasmuch as I have never
alleged that "elitist" was a characteristic of the CRM program, and would
temperamentally (as always) be uncomfortable to find myself leading a charge
of unshaven and unwashed  peasants against the CRM Bastille, which never did
me any harm or hurt.  And perhaps that is the point I was trying to transmit
with my previous post: the issue doesn't really interest most people in the
profession enough for them to even sneer at it, even if they were so
predisposed; and in my limited experience, only a very, very few ARE thus
inclined.  When the annual announcement comes out giving the names of the
newly certified CRMs, those of us who recognize a friend or a colleague on
the list send along our congratulations, and I would be very surprised if
any of them took the form of "Congratulations on wasting your time, you
cornstarched prig".  (I said "prig", mind you. But did you ever hear the one
about ‘What’s the difference between a Volvo and a porcupine’?…).

As to why the certification does not arouse more passion and interest, you
must draw your own conclusions.  Possibly because of the time demands;
possibly because of money; possibly because other avenues of education are
already in place; possibly because people are school-weary; possibly because
of the bad press which the CRM candidates themselves ascribe to the process
and its content; possibly because among a great many Records Managers there
are some people with 30+ years of experience who would have to go to great
lengths just to FORGET enough of what they already know about RM as second
nature in order to make standing for the certification meaningful, and not
just a parody of a travesty of a mockery of a sham.

It has been recently pointed out that "attacking any kind of testing
standards seems to becoming an epidemic here in the US"; that epidemic is
more similar in preeminence to a moderate case of the sniffles when compared
to the plague of giving oneself titles and importance all out of proportion
to what one really is and what one really knows and does, and THAT plague is
even more widespread.  Just ask any Knowledge Manager.

That is, ask any Knowledge Manager...CKM.

Harry F. Paget
-----

Kerrie,

I've been following this thread with interest since I recently passed parts
1-5 of the exams.  Although I found Mr. Paget's comments insightful and
entertaining as always he was wrong on a few points.  I have seen employment
adds that stated "CRM required" not just preferred and I would guess that it
will be become more common in the future.  HR people are always looking for
ways to cut down on the number of resumes to sift through.  Mr. Paget is
probably right that many of them don't know what CRM stands for but what
they do know, I would suspect, is that if you got it you're not a total
bonehead.

You may want to check the archives of this listserv because I recall a very
lively debate in the past about the CRM designation, some going so far as to
say it is "elitist."   I think when people use silly Marxist language like
this what they're really saying is "I'm too lazy and/or stupid to complete
this process so I'll simply dismiss it and insult the individuals who worked
so hard to obtain it."  Now of course I do not mean everyone who chooses not
to become a CRM, nor do I believe that a CRM is necessarily a better RM.  I
know plenty of great RMs who are not CRMs.  However,  attacking any kind of
testing standards seems to becoming an epidemic here in the US.  For
example, New York State recently instituted tough standardized tests for all
school children.  Some are actually suing claiming it is not a true measure
of their abilities.  Again, I think what they're saying is "I spent the last
ten years playing video games, watching TV, and looking at
www.greatporno.com (I dare someone to click on that link!) on the Internet
so there's no way in heck I'll pass."

To be or not to be a CRM is a personal decision.  I decided to seek it for
the reasons Mr. Whitaker stated in his post. What I would ask of those who
do not seek the CRM designation is not to demean the hard work of those who
do by saying things like it is "elitist" or a "waste of time"

David F. Lowry