RECMGMT-L May 2000

Re: CRM Debate

Harry Paget <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 May 2000 21:22:18 CDT

text/plain

My dear Elizabeth,

It's not often that one receives a public invitation to one's own next
spanking; I would make some remarks about the blush on my cheeks, butt who
knows how THAT would be construed.  In any event, I both acknowledge and
applaud your obvious passion for the subject... at hand... , and am pleased
that you have chosen to paddle (so to speak) into the fray and not hang to
the, um ... rear ... on this controversy; I trust that your fellow CRMs will
be ... behind ... you in this regard.   I do feel somewhat compelled to
overlook your... tushy-feely remarks about providing guidance and
encouragement to even non-CRMs, and trust you will not think me too, too
much a ... bum ... as a result thereof.    Please be assured that it is not
my intent to ...whip ... up any peaceful individuals into a frenzy with my
comments, but we must get to the, um... bottom ... of this, arse I am sure
you will agree.
There have now, I think, been enough posts to enable us to deduce - a
posteriori -  the correct position we should be ass-uming.

I am equally certain that you did not in fact mean it when you said that
"any certification is positive!!!".  I am reminded of a couple of phrases I
have come across in the past, among others "certified to Bedlam", the very
famous madhouse.  But I won't quibble with you over words.

However, some words have in fact been employed in this debate that one can
hardly afford to overlook.

Mr. Doug Allen suggests that only through certification and credentialing
can one "rise above the 'file clerk' or the 'basement records center'
labels" - always quick to follow it up with the omnipresent Seinfeldian "not
that there's anything wrong with THOSE dead-end jobs" disclaimer - which
somewhat sort of ignores the fact that there are hundreds of persons in the
profession who had become records managers when the ICRM was still doing
business out of a former pool ("billiards", for the CRMs in the crowd) hall
located on the corner of 43rd & West Chitterling Streets; or even before, as
in the case of the Good & Noble Bob Soutar, and certainly since, as in the
case of a significant number of ARMA's fabled 10,000.   And since the
question was asked rhetorically, the answer, my good woman, is YES... that
27 years' experience of Mr. Soutar's SHOULD speak for itself.   Which of you
would have the temerity to suggest otherwise?  I mean, besides Peter, that
is ("If you are happy with your current position and do not plan to move on
then the decision not to pursue it [the CRM] is probably correct...").

Both the Good & Noble Kurilecz and the equally G&N Lowry have steadfastly
maintained that HR staffers will use the CRM designation with increasing
frequency by way of reducing the number of résumés they must go through
every time they advertise for a high-end records position.  Mr. Lowry at
least allowed as how this is an unfortunate state of affairs, but what're
you gonna do?

Well, then, what ARE you gonna do?   Inasmuch as this entire discussion was
prompted by Kerrie Monzo's request for perspectives on the CRM, and its
possible impact on the future/fate of RM certification in Australia, here's
a perfect opportunity to once and for all ascribe to the certification its
proper level of importance, or to admit that that level of importance is
high - exceedingly - on the personal side, but effectively only graphable as
a function of HR sloth on the professional side.  I therefore posit you the
case where an RM position is advertised, and three candidates step forward.
One is a newly ordained CRM, with a BA in English and three years before the
RM mast; all of this is in strict accordance with the ICRM's published
requirements ("Education - 4 years (BA degree); Professional experience - 3
years").

The other candidate is a non-CRM, but with considerably more experience.
Since this will work soooooo much better if we put actually put a face - or
at least a name - to it, let's call this non-CRM, oh, I don't know; how
about "Dianne Hagan"?

The third candidate isn't even in RM per se.  He spends his time
fiddle-faddling around on the Internet and is such a poor communicator that
he can't even instruct someone in possession of all the requirements to
stand for the CRM certification on how to correctly switch from "mail" to
"nomail" without having to repeat it at least once per week.   He is such a
sluggard that it will come as no surprise to any of you that he's actually a
civil service employee.   When he isn't off on yet another federal holiday,
or "list-moming" some fly-by-night e-zine, he occasionally plays at being an
"archivist", and by his own admission, functions best when the lights are
out; hence his entirely apropos moniker, "Mrac, the Archivist of Darkness".
  I present to you, then, our third candidate and yet another non-CRM, our
own Marc Wolfe.

It's probably not important to the current example, but just for the sake of
argument, let's allow as how the prospective employer is, oh, I don't know;
how about "The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and
Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE)", and perhaps the position has to
do with the last twenty-five years' worth of files dealing with OSHA, the
EPA, the FTC, and other agencies of the federal government; something dull
and boring like that.

Now, if we adopt the Kurilecz/Lowry approach as being a fait accompli,
neither the Good and Noble Hagan nor the Good & Noble Wolfe will ever get
their respective footie inside the door.

There are  four  possibilities that I see arising as a result of this
hypothetical but by no means far-fetched situation.

1.  Dianne and Marc will NOT get an interview, and that is as it should be.
The first cut is NOT experience and it is NOT innovative ideas (see Peter
the K's reply to Shanauzelda); nor is it accumulated knowledge or computing
dexterity.   The first cut is the CRM certification, and once again, SHOULD
be.  That certification by its very presence rightly and correctly implies
or even asserts a higher degree of qualification than that of the two
non-CRMs with nearly 40 years of experience between them, and anyone with
the certification is automatically imputed to have the superior knowledge,
suite of ideas, and skills vis-a-vis computing technology and tools.

2A.   Dianne and Marc will each get an interview, but will inevitably lose
out to the CRM, who, once again, will be perceived to be better qualified
than the two non-CRMs; AND OUGHT TO BE.

2B.   Dianne and Marc will each get an interview, but will inevitably lose
out to the CRM, who, once again, will be perceived to be better qualified
than the two non-CRMs; but this should NOT be, and we wish otherwise was the
case.

3.  The employer will immediately recognize that Dianne's enormous
experience and success with Carrier-UTC makes her an ideal candidate, and
furthermore recognizes that Marc's years with NARA give him by far the
inside track on dealing with and interpreting federal government regulations
and requirements.   Of course, Dianne gets the job; AND OUGHT TO.  Marc gets
told that if Dianne changes her mind before her scheduled start date, then
the job will go to him.   Marc considers asking if he can also have her
presents if she croaks on Christmas Eve, but thinks better of it, thus
displaying real professionalism.

(There was a fifth possibility, but it involved an obscenely short red
dress, and what Dianne was wearing was even more risqué; but I decided to
omit it.)

Now, we must set it out for The Monz.  Which is it, and which should it be?
If we go with either number one or number two (A), we are in effect telling
Kerrie - and you just know she's going to blab it all OVER Australia - that
no matter how much confidence and first-hand knowledge we have in the
abilities of these two non-CRMs, we insist that the one CRM is not just
equally qualified, but MORE qualified for the position than either of them;
or, even though we know that either Dianne or Marc are in fact more highly
qualified than some youngster with a scant three years experience, we
nevertheless validate the decision to pass them by, AND believe that this
will soon become the standard operating procedure, if it is not already.  If
we go with Number two (B), we are with some degree of regret saying that
"it's a pity, but that's just the way the 'game' is played", a la Kurilecz
and Lowry.   If we go with number three, then in fact we are telling Kerrie
that real-life experience and professional knowledge gathered therefrom
ought to be more highly valued in a prospective applicant than a (somewhat
inbred) certification about which little or nothing is known by an
overwhelming majority of HR staff with hiring authority; or for that matter,
even if the ASHRAE interviewer knew all there was to know about the CRM, we
would STILL be telling Kerrie that the employer should value the
experience/knowledge more highly than the certification.

So I repeat: which one is it?

Before any of you replies back that I have created a straw man just for the
purpose of knocking him down, recall which of us has suggested that HR
résumé readers use the CRM as a line of demarcation - in my example, a line
of "de-Marc- ation" - and that the CRM is in fact an accurate measurement
both of quantity of knowledge and of desirability as a new hire, AND
additionally functions as an indicator of "credibility" and
"professionalism".  Other than the attempts to console we non-CRMs ("hey;
you can't help it if you're stupid"), there seems to be a feeling that only
"eight hours worth of testimony" might suffice for anyone other than a CRM
to comport themselves with an air of "credibility" and "professionalism".

Miz Liz, I incite... er, inVITE ...you to be the first respondent.

Harry F. Paget
--------

Mr. Harry Paget,  [who; me?] Yes You! You would incite the most peaceful
individual to open a can [only one can?] of whoopass on you (Yes that would
include Mother Theresa, God rest her soul), because you put such a negative
spin on anything that is positive. Believe it or not CRM or any
certification is positive!!! We have already stated it is a matter of
preference relative to acquiring the certification, that eventually all
industries will require certification [...huh?  That was mighty durn
presumptive of us, I must say] , and I believe in your case it is just a
matter of insecurity on what you're about and the level of knowledge you
have  [it's true; I really am an idiot]. In my original post plumber versus
helper, I think this was a rather quick and flippant remark  [ummmmmmm;
nah]. And as some of you list servers can attest to, I have been very
helpful in providing information, guidance and assistance when all needed it
not just CRMS. And that is the point. Offering help and encouragement to
those who need it. I also sent my CRM study book to someone on the Listserv,
who never even thanked me [the cad; but by the way, can I have your
Mastercard number?  I'll send it right back when I'm through with it]. I
will continue to help and assist those who request my help, if I can. The
views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my company.
Great debate!!  [my favorite part was whooping Paget's ass] Liz Elizabeth
Castro,CRM, MIT, MBA Electronic Records Manager, Records Administration