Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: learning center names

Judy Livingston <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:13:17 -0500

text/plain

Paula,
Your newsletter is great.  I especially like the idea of collecting test taking ideas from instructors.
How do you distribute the newsletter?
Judy Livingston

>>> Paula Ford <[log in to unmask]> 06/22 11:38 AM >>>
One way I battle the "place for dummies" perception is by using my
newsletter to teach students (and faculty, in some cases) what a Learning
Resources Center is all about. There's an article in the current issue that
is an example (I hope a good one).

http://www.psu.edu/dept/altoonalrc/summer2000.htm#is

Hope this helps,
Paula

At 11:57 AM 06/22/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm guessing everyone in the learning assistance biz has to battle the "place
>for dummies" label.  In fact, Frank Christ talked about the issue at Winter
>Institute this year and has changed his language when talking about our
>profession from "learning assistance" to "learning support."  It is a subtle
>difference, but may alter the way others see us.
>
>Our center is called simply the Learning Center.  One of the ways we handle
>that impression that all we do is save people from F's (and only work with
>developmental courses/students) is by visiting classes every semester.  Pairs
>of tutors visit to announce our services for that class.  Believe me, getting
>out there is a nightmare of scheduling and running, but it is worth it.  When
>our calculus, chemistry, nursing, biology, you name it higher level classes
>see our tutors and are invited to come to our center even just to study, they
>do come.  Once they get in the door, they are converts.  For one thing, when
>you're doing your homework and you get stuck, there is almost always someone
>to ask, and we encourage it.
>
>We also are fortunate to have faculty who really believe in tutoring.  Many
>of our instructors hold an office hour in the Learning Center to encourage
>their students to come see them in an inviting place.  (Office space is
>crowded on our campus,and we invite faculty via email to hold any hours they
>want in the center.)  Some of them offer that hour as a "study group" session
>for whoever is interested.  That also helps get students in who otherwise
>might not see themselves as someone who "needs" tutoring.  Our instructors
>emphasize that tutoring enhances learning for all students, even the ones who
>are getting good grades.
>
>The other thing we do to try to get students into the place is hold
>presentations we call "minisessions" on topics in ESL, English, math, and
>study skills.  We publish a list of the topics and dates/times for the
>semester and post them all over.  Many of the instructors will give an extra
>credit point(s) for proof of attending these sessions.  The study skills
>sessions are actually poorly attended, we think because they are not tied to
>any specific courses and thus, no extra points.  We are working on that!  The
>main thing is to get students into the center and feeling comfortable there.
>Then, one thing leads to another and after a while they are asking about
>tutoring.
>
>I might also suggest that if you know that you have tutored students who have
>gotten good grades, tell someone!  Your dean, president, the faculty/depts,
>etc.  Even if you aren't trying to prove that the tutoring is what helped,
>you are advertising that you work with good students, not just poor ones.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Linda Russell
>Tutor Coordinator
>Minneapolis Community and Technical College
> [...]

__________
Paula Ford
Coordinator, Learning Resources Center
Penn State--Altoona College
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601
voice: (814) 949-5112
fax:    (814) 949-5547

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/p/x/pxf3/
http://www.psu.edu/dept/altoonalrc/altlrc.html
http://www.aa.psu.edu/academic/

"Den som har dr°mt Udfµrd og Dsd senker ej Sejl uden med Sorg." Bj°rnson

March 2020
February 2020
January 2020
December 2019