Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: portfolio - a second try

Robin Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:50:58 -0500

text/plain

Shirley,
It worked but it cut off in mid sentence. Could you post the rest of
it?

--robin

Date sent: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:04:46 -0400
From: Shirley Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: portfolio - a second try
To: [log in to unmask]
Send reply to: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals

Hi to all those who requested my information about portfolios. I understand that several of you were not able to read my attachments, so I will try again to get it out to you as part of this e-mail. Hope this works for you.
Shirley

Portfolio Assignment

What is a portfolio?
A portfolio is a collection of your best work. It will include samples of several different types of assignments done outside the classroom, including Vocabulary Journal, Reading Response, Note-taking, Performance Journal, and Lab Assignments (in 4 sections for the four different lab programs you
will be working with).

When is the portfolio due?
The portfolio will be divided into four parts, due throughout the semester so that you will not have one big assignment due sometime in the latter part of the semester. By turning it in by parts, I
will be able to give you feedback on organization and content so that future parts will be done bet
ter, thus giving you a chance to improve your grade. The first part is worth only 50 points and is
a kind of practice. The last part does not include too much, mostly wrap-up work, so it is also wor
th only 50 points. Part 2 and part 3 are the most inclusive, will require more of your time and ene
rgy, and are worth 150 points each.
These parts are due 3 to 4 weeks apart. See the assignment sheet for exact due dates.

Materials needed for my portfolio:
Pocket folder with prongs (clips) in the center. A pocket folder without the clips will not do. A f
older with clips but no pockets will not do. A notebook of any kind will not do. None of these thin
gs will be accepted. If you are unable to find the correct pocket folder, see me since I have some
extra I was able to purchase when on sale. It will cost you only 25 cents.
You will need 8 dividers, one for each section as divided on the grade sheet.

How is the portfolio to be organized?
Your name should be in the UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER of the OUTSIDE of the folder. Print in dark, bol
d letters so that it can be easily read with just a glance.

Your Portfolio Grade sheet will be placed in the FRONT POCKET with your NAME on it. If you need to
turn it in late for any reason, place the LATE ASSIGNMENT sheet also in the FRONT POCKET on top of
the grade sheet.

You will need to place a divider between each section. The sections will be labeled according to th
e grade sheet and placed in the SAME ORDER as the grade sheet. Everything on the grade sheet will b
e placed in the center clips with dividers.

The grade sheets with grades on them will be stored in the back pocket. No other forms or papers sh
ould be in the pocket or anywhere in the portfolio.

How will I know if my portfolio is organized correctly and complete before the due date?
I will place a sample portfolio (part 1) in my file drawer in the reading lab. If you are still not
 sure after comparing yours to the sample, check with me. I will be glad to take a look at it befor
e the due date. DO NOT ask me to check it on the due date.

What happens if I ignore these instructions?
If you ignore or misunderstand the instructions on part 1, it will be returned to you to correct. Y
ou will then have no more than 1 week to return to me for a grade. Any longer than 1 week will resu
lt in a lowered grade. If you do not follow instructions on part 2, you will also have to redo it,
but it will be an automatic late grade from the day you get it back. Parts 3 and 4 have 5 points gi
ven for following ALL directions carefully and completely. These will not be returned to you for re
work. They will just be graded on what you turn in. By this time you should understand what is expe
cted. I expect my instructions to be followed exactly without exception. These expectations are par
t of teaching you to read carefully and follow directions.

What else should I remember?
All portfolio assignments, except annotation and mapping will be typewritten or computer generated,
 leaving at least a 1 inch margin all around. No work should be inside the clip binding of the fold
er, where it would be difficult or impossible for me to read. If you have someone type your work fo
r you, YOU are still responsible for the product -- errors and all. PROOFREAD all your work before
you turn it in. If you find the mistakes, I won't have to. If I find the mistakes, it will cost you
 points. If typing is impossible for some reason, please discuss this with me so we can explore oth
er options.

NEATNESS also counts. If you find a few small errors just before turning your work in, you may chan
ge them using a pen. All major errors should be corrected and reprinted. Be sure to SAVE all the wo
rk you do on a disk so you won't have to retype everything, just change.

Any suspicion of plagiarism on any part of the portfolio will require proof from you that it was yo
ur work or a 0 grade will be given. No exceptions.

Name _______________________________________ Due ___________________ SA 090 Portfolio * Part 1
(practice)

Put this form in the front pocket of your portfolio. The blanks on the left are for your use as a c
hecklist. Do not mark in the blanks on the right. That is for me to record your grade. See the samp
le portfolio in my drawer in the Reading Lab for format. Yours should look very similar if you have
 followed directions and done everything correctly.

Vocabulary Journal _____ 5 vocabulary words, numbered 1 * 5
     _____/10
                                Word in bold print
                                Source (underline or italicize the name of the book & give page #)

                                Original sentence (in quotation marks)
        Your definition (what you think the word might mean from its context)
                                Part of Speech (verb, noun, adj., adv., etc.)
                                    & Dictionary Definition (both on one line) _____
                                Your sentence (underline the word in your sentence) _____

Reading Response _____ Narrative Article
             _____/10
                                  (from Reader's Digest in Learning Center *
                                        look for a Drama in Real Life)

Note-taking _____ Annotation
        (Photocopy and mark any three pages from one of your texts) _____/5

Check Your Performance _____ All tests and reading selections
     _____/5

Lab Assignments Print out all new data before leaving the lab for the day
             _____/20

Speed Reader - Each set consists of a warm-up and 3 lessons of eye movement and 1 or more timed rea
ding. Do a set each time you come into the lab. Comprehension must be 75% or higher to count for c
redit. Rate must progress with each reading unless the comprehension is poor, in which case the rat
e should stay the same. Doing a large number on one day instead of several different days will cou
nt as only one.

                Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 _____/5
                _____ Assessment
                        _____ _____ _____ _____ Warm-up
                        _____ _____ _____ _____ Eye Movement with 4 fixations (3)
        _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Timed Reading (1 or more)

        Must have 80% or better on exercises below to be considered completed.

        Townsend Press Vocabulary _____/5
        _____ Assessment Test
                                _____ Lessons 1 * 5 (do more if you are working below level)

        Comprehension _____/5
                                _____ Vocabulary 1& 2 (Wk. 3)

        Word Attack Advanced Level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 1 & 2(presentation & 1 game)
                                _____ Nouns 1 & 2 (presentation & 1 game)
                                _____ Verbs 1& 2 (presentation & 1 game)

        Confusing Words _____ study Word Lists
                                _____ study

   TOTAL _______ Pts/50

Name ___________________________________ Due _____________________ SA 090 Portfolio * Part
 2
Put this form in the front pocket of your portfolio. The blanks on the left are for your use as a c
hecklist. Do not mark in the blanks on the right. That is for me to record your grade. See the samp
le portfolio in my drawer in the Reading Lab for format.

Vocabulary Journal Leave the old ones in with the newest ones on top
        _____ 10 vocabulary words, numbered 6 * 15 _____/20
        Word in bold print
                                Source (underline or italicize the name of the book & give page #)

                                Original sentence (in quotation marks)
                                Your definition (what you think the word might mean from its contex
t)
                                Part of Speech (verb, noun, adj., adv., etc.)
                                    & Dictionary Definition (both on one line) _____
                                Your sentence (underline the word in your sentence) _____

Reading Response Leave the old responses in with the newest ones on top
             _____/30
        _____ Biography _____/15
                                (from Everyday Heroes on library reserve)
                        _____ Informative _____/15
                                (from Reader's Digest in Learning Center or other source of choice)

Note-taking Leave the old in with the newest ones on top
        _____ Mapping (pp. 82 - 89) _____/10
_____ Cornell Notes ( pp. _____/10

Check Your Performance _____ All tests and Reading Selections
     _____/10

Lab Assignments Print out all new data before leaving the lab for the day
             _____/70
                Put all lab assignments in the following order with new on top:

Speed Reader * Do a set each time you come into the lab. Comprehension must be 75% or higher to co
unt for credit. Rate must progress with each reading unless the comprehension is poor, in which cas
e the rate should stay the same.

        Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 _____/20
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Warm-up for 5 minutes
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Eye Movement with 3 fixations (3 le
ssons)

Townsend Press Vocabulary _____/10
        _____ Lessons 6 * 15 (there is no 6 or 12 for some)
 (do more if you are working below level)

Comprehension
                                _____ Main Idea (wk. 4) _____/10
                                _____ Supporting Details (wk. 5 or 6)
                                _____ Implied Main Ideas (wk. 7)

        Word Attack Roots & Prefixes _____/5
        _____ Prefix 1 (presentation & 1 game)
                                _____ Prefix 2 (presentation & 1 game)
                                _____ Prefix 3 (presentation & 1 game)

        Roots & Prefixes _____/5
_____ Words 1, 2, 3 & 4 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Words 5, 6, 7 & 8 (presentation & 1 game each)

        Advanced level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 3 & 4 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Nouns 3 & 4 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Verbs 3 & 4 (presentation & 1 game each)

        Advanced level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 5 & 6 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Nouns 5 & 6 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Verbs 5 & 6 (presentation & 1 game each)

Confusing Words _____ Paragraphs 1 _____/10

                                                                                TOTAL _______ Pts/
150

Name _________________________________ Due ____________________ SA 090 Portfolio - Part 3

        _____ 10 vocabulary words, numbered 16 * 25 _____/20
        Word in bold print
                                Source (underline or italicize the name of the book & give page #)

                                Original sentence (in quotation marks)
                                Your definition (what you think the word might mean from its contex
t)
                                Part of Speech (verb, noun, adj., adv., etc.)
                                    & Dictionary Definition (both on one line) _____
                                Your sentence (underline the word in your sentence) _____

Reading Response Leave the old responses in with the newest ones on top
             _____/30
        _____ Novel (on library reserve) _____/15

                        _____ Summary of "The Worthless Ivy League?" _____/15

Note-taking Leave the old in with the newest ones on top
        _____ Outline (main ideas of chapter 6) _____/15

Check Your Performance _____ All tests and reading selections
             _____/10

Lab Assignments Print out all new data before leaving the lab for the day
             _____/75
                Put all lab assignments in the following order with new on top:

Speed Reader * Each set consists of a warm-up and 3 lessons of eye movement with 1 or more timed re
adings Do a set each time you come into the lab. Comprehension must be 75% or higher to count for c

        Week 8 Week 9 Week 10 Week 11 _____/20
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Warm-up for 5 minutes
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Newspaper Reading with 2 columns (3
)
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Timed Reading (1 or more)

        Must have 80% or better on exercises below to be considered completed.

        Townsend Press Vocabulary _____/10
                                _____ Lessons 16 * 25 (there is no 18 or 24 for some)
                                        (do more if you are working below level)

        Comprehension _____/1010
                                _____ Relationships I (wk. 8)
                                _____ Relationships II (wk. 10)
                                _____ Fact & Opinion ( wk. 11)

        Word Attack Roots & Prefixes _____/5
        _____ Roots 1 and 2 (presentation & 1 game each)
_____ Words 9, 10, 11, 12 (presentation & 1 game each)
_____ Words 13, 14, 15 (presentation & 1 game each)

                                Advanced level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 7, 8, 9 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Nouns 7, 8, 9 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Verbs 7, 8, 9 (presentation & 1 game each)

                                Advanced Level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 10, 11 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Nouns 10, 11 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Verbs 10, 11 (presentation & 1 game each)

        Confusing Words _____ Paragraph 2 _____/10
                                _____ Paragraph 3 _____/10

  TOTAL _______ Pts/150

             Directions followed _____/5

Name _________________________________ Due _____________________ SA 090 Portfolio - Part 4
(wrap-up)

Put this form in the front pocket of your portfolio. The blanks on the left are for your use as a c
hecklist. Do not mark in the blanks on the right. That is for me to record your grade.

Reading Response Leave the old responses in with the newest one on top
             _____/15
        _____ Summary of "Binge Drinking"

Check Your Performance _____ All tests and reading selections
     _____/5

Lab Assignments Print out all new data before leaving the lab for the day
             _____/30
                Put all lab assignments in the following order with new on top:

Speed Reader * Each day you are to do one set of exercises. For this portfolio you will warm-up f
or about 5 minutes, then go to the Newspaper Reading exercise (1 column) and do 3 exercises, follow
ed by timed readings * 1 exercise if the speed is within 25 words per minute of your newspaper read
ing and at least 75% comprehension. Otherwise do as many timed readings as needed to meet the above
 criteria. All must be at 75% or higher to count for credit and must be done on different days. Pri
nt report (not graph) for both exercises and turn in only the reports that have all sets on them. D
o not include duplicate reports.
        week 12 week 13 week 14 Week 15 _____/5
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Warm-up for 5 minutes
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Newspaper Reading with 1 column (3)
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ Timed Reading (1)

Must have 80% or better on all exercised below to be considered completed
Townsend Press Vocabulary
                                _____ Lessons 26 * 30 _____/5
                                         (do more if you are working below level)

        Comprehension _____/5
                                _____ Inferences (wk. 13)
        _____ Purpose & Tone (wk. 14)

_____ Combined Skills Test 1 & 2 (wk 15)

        Word Attack Advanced Level or higher _____/5
                                _____ Adjectives 12, 13, 14, 15 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Nouns 12, 13, 14, 15 (presentation & 1 game each)
                                _____ Verbs 12, 13, 14, 15 (presentation & 1 game each)

        Confusing Words _____ Essay 1 _____/5
                        _____ Essay 2 _____/5

TOTAL _______ Pts/50

        Directions followed _______/5

VOCABULARY JOURNAL

-- All vocabulary words, sentences, etc. must be typewritten. NO HANDWRITTEN PAPERS WILL BE ACCEPTE
D unless you have obtained permission from me for rare circumstances!

-- Leave at least a 1 inch margin on the left to allow for inserting papers into the folder.

-- All papers must be neatly inserted in the center clips. NO LOOSE PAPERS OR STAPLED PAPERS WILL B
E ACCEPTED! (Not even if they are in the pockets.)

-- Your name MUST be written in the upper right hand corner of the outside of the folder in bold pr
int.

-- The journal is to be the first section of your portfolio, which MUST be in a flat folder. NO THR
EE RING BINDERS, SPIRAL NOTEBOOKS, ETC. WILL BE ACCEPTED!

-- Number all words as you begin the assignment. Always begin where you left off and continue throu
gh 25. For example, the vocabulary words in part one of the portfolio will be numbered 1 - 5, while
 the words for part two of the portfolio will be 6 - 15.

-- Type only one item per line in the following manner:
        * WORD (written in capital letters)
        Use no technical words that you would not use in more than one subject or in everyday langu
age or in an essay for an English class. If the word is defined in your textbook or can be found in
 its glossary, it is too technical for this project and should be discarded.
        * Source of word and page number where the word was found
* Sentence in which the word was used in the book
* Your definition of the word
        What you think it might mean before you look it up in the dictionary. Do not say "I don't k
now what it means." If you did, you would not have to look it up. Think about its context. Take an
educated guess. It's OK to be wrong.
        * The part of speech and the dictionary definition
        If there are several definitions, use the one that corresponds with the way it is used in t
he original sentence. Do not write the first definition you find unless it matches the sentence. Do
 not say you can't find it. That probably means your word is too technical, you are using a poor di
ctionary, or you may have misspelled the word.
        * A new sentence in your own words, using the word the same way it was used in the original
 sentence. If you change the tense or the part of speech, you must also change the ending appropria
tely.
        Underline the word in your sentence.

Vocabulary Journal (cont.)

-- Avoid writing sentences using the following verbs: is, are, am, was, were, or other forms of the
 verb to be. These tend to be vague sentences with the vocabulary word that could mean just about a
nything.
        Example: She was very extravagant.
        This could just as well mean:
She was very tall.
                        or She was very pretty.
   This type of sentence does not usually show me that you know what the word means. An exception t
o this might be something like: When I have much writing to do, I wish I were ambidextr
ous. This explains the meaning within the sentence, whereas "I am ambidextrous" does not tell me an
ything.
   Other unacceptable sentences include these kinds:
        I like ____________.
He looks __________.
We studied ___________ in our __________ class.
_________ means to _____________.

-- I can't cover all the things you can and cannot do, but you are in college now, so use your comm
on sense and don't try to "get away with something." Yes! I do read your papers, and I will probab
ly find the little tricks if you try them. I will most likely know if you copy someone else's work
also. You will know if you are taking the easy road instead of thinking and working. Your grade wil
l reflect it.

-- Proofread and Spell Check your work so I don't have to. That's your job!

See Portfolio grade sheets for due dates and number of words to be done for each portfolio.
If you have questions, see the sample portfolio in the Learning Center file drawer with my name. If
 you are still not sure after re-reading these directions and checking the sample portfolio, please
, PLEASE come to see me. I will be happy to help you, but you must see me to get help.

 Work hard and work early; this is the key to a good grade.

        SAMPLE VOCABULARY JOURNAL

 1. PONTIFICATION
        Shadows over Stonewycke p. 59
                -"Nevertheless, I do not choose to add to the world's gloom with serious reflection
, introspection, and pontification."
        -self-pity
-noun - the act of speaking or behaving with pompous authority
-They found his silly pontification unacceptable because it made him act superior to
        them.

 2. INCONSEQUENTIAL
        ibid p. 62
                -"When she returned Logan had laid out lunch, and the three ate while Logan and All
ison chatted about things inconsequential ...."
        -not important
-adjective - lacking importance, petty, trivial
-Because they didn't have to work in the morning, they found the late hour to be
        inconsequential.

 3. CONFIDENCE
        ibid p. 67
                -"He was a man of the streets, an ex-crook, a card sharp, nothing more than a commo
n confidence man."
        -a person who tricks other people
-adjective - of or relating to swindling by false promises
-I called the police after I realized the confidence man had left with all my money.

 4. APLOMB
        ibid p. 68
                -"And with him playing his part of the innocent bystander with cool aplomb, togethe
r they had made quite a financial killing."
        -appearance of not being involved
-noun - self-confidence, poise, assurance
-The speaker got up with great aplomb, even while being heckled by the crowd.

 5. MOROSELY
        ibid p. 69
-"But at least they died honorably, thought Logan morosely."
-sadly
-adverb - characterized by or displaying gloom
-Her roommate never seemed happy; she always seemed to be in a morose mood.

 6. IMPASSE
        ibid p. 71
-"Logan came to an impasse in his thoughts."
-a place of uncertainty
-noun - a difficult situation offering no workable escape
The negotiations came to an impasse because neither side was willing to compromise.

7. IN LIEU OF
        ibid p. 108
-"In addition to the books were stacks of crates ... and a small table that had three of the
wooden crates situated around it, apparently to be used in lieu of chairs."
-instead of
-idiom - in place of, instead of
-Since my husband couldn't go to the meeting, I went in lieu of him.

READING RESPONSE JOURNAL

For narrative and informative (expository) articles:
A narrative is a true story about an incident in someone's life, not about a person's whole life, b
ut just one time measured in minutes, hours, or perhaps a few days. If I were to say to you, "Let m
e tell you what happened to me today on the way to class," that would be a narrative.

An informative article is also true, but it does not read like a story. Its main purpose is to info
rm you about something. Many informative articles begin with a little narrative to get you interest
ed. The first one or two paragraphs may be about a happening in someone's life, but then it begins
to read more like a textbook in pure information.

The articles you will read can be found in the Learning Center or you may use magazines of your own
. If you are not sure how to recognize a narrative, the best place to look is in Reader's Digest u
nder Drama in Real Life. These are always narratives and are found in almost every issue. Many othe
r articles are narratives as well, but many are informative. Almost all articles in a magazine like
 National Geographic, Time, or Newsweek would be informative. If you are not sure, ask me before yo
u write your summary/response.

Whenever you refer to the article in your writing, always identify it by writing narrative or infor
mative. Never use you in your writing. Your introduction and summary will be written in 3rd person
 (he, she, it, they, etc.) and your response will be written in 1st person (I). You will not use in
formal words, such as a lot, alot, or lots. Contractions are not used in formal writing either. Th
is is a good time for you to practice good college writing. You will be graded on these things, alt
hough, for the most part, I will be grading on content in this class.

Using 12 point font, respond to the following questions with complete sentences and good paragraph
form. Do not start a sentence with yes or no to answer a question. Write the answers as though I ha
ve no idea what the questions are.

Begin with a single-spaced heading located at the top left margin. On the first line write your na
me, followed by the date on the second line and the type of assignment on the third and fourth line
s.
        Example:
Shirley Smart
January 1, 2000
Reading Response Journal
Narrative

Double space all your work after the heading with no extra spaces between paragraphs. Indent each p
aragraph (1 tab).

1st paragraph (introduction)
    What is the title of the article (put in quotes)?
    Who is the author?
    In what magazine or journal did you find the article (underlined using same guidelines as for a
 novel).
                        (Include date of the magazine or journal)
    What is the main idea?

2nd paragraph (summary)
    What was the article about?
    What was learned from reading the article? (Do not begin using I here.)

 3rd paragraph (response)
    Would you recommend this article to someone interested in the topic? Why or why not?
    After reading the article, did you find it answered many of your questions or was it lacking?
    Will you seek other articles or books on the same subject?
    What other magazine might have a similar article on the subject?

Reading Response Journal (cont.)

For biographical sketches:

A biography is a true writing about a person's life written by another person. An autobiography is
written by the person whose life is being told. You will find appropriate biographical sketches on
library reserve from the book entitled Everyday Heroes.

Again, introduce the summary by stating the name of the article, what book, copyright date, author,
 etc. Never use you in your writing. Your introduction and summary will be written in 3rd person (
[...]

Biography

Double space all your work after the heading with no extra spaces between paragraphs. Indent each p
aragraph (1 tab or 5 spaces).

1st paragraph (introduction)
         Who was the biography about?
 What is the name of the book in which you found this biography?
     Why did you choose to read about this person?

2nd paragraph (summary)
     What main things did this person accomplish?
      What significance did this accomplishment have on those around him/her or on society?
      What things and people helped this person achieve his/her goals?

3rd paragraph (response)
     Do you have similar aspirations?
         Are your goals something comparable?
 Do you have friends who have gone through similar experiences?
 Would you recommend this biography to someone else?

Reading Response Journal (cont.)

For novels:
The novel you will read will be found on library reserve. There are ten novels for you to choose fr
om.

Always refer to this story as a novel. A novel, by definition, is fiction, although a historical no
vel would be based on fact, but still fiction. Novels are written in a book with no other stories.
They begin and end in the same book. They are similar to short stories, but are longer, usually hav
e more characters, and may have a more complicated plot with more than one conflict going on.

Introduce the novel by including the name and author of the book, as well as the copyright date. Ne
[...]

.
        Example:
Shirley Smart
January 1, 2000
Reading Response Journal
Novel

Double space all your work after the heading with no extra spaces between paragraphs. Indent each p
aragraph (1 tab or 5 spaces).

1st paragraph (introduction)
    What is the title of the novel?
                    Be sure to underline the title and capitalize the first and last words and all
other words except articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or, etc.), prepositi
ons (in, on, over, under, etc.), and the word to in an infinitive (ex. to go).
    Who is the author of the novel?
    When was the novel written?
          Write a main idea statement, which would include the type of story it was. (drama, humor,
 suspense,
        historical, etc.)

2nd paragraph (summary)
                    Where does the story take place and when? What is the setting's (time and place
) significance to the story? If time and place are not given, why not?
    What is the main conflict in the story, and how does it affect the protagonist (the main charac
ter). Does the conflict originate with another character, nature, a societal problem, or within the
 protagonist himself?
    How does the protagonist resolve the problem?
    What people in the novel get in the way of the resolution?
        Which ones help? How do they help or hinder?

3rd paragraph (response)
    What do you feel the author was trying to say in this work?
    How did the novel affect you?
Reading Response Journal (cont.)

For short stories:

The short stories you will read are on library reserve. They will always be in a book with a title
that will say something like America's Favorite Short Stories. Short stories are fiction (not true)
 and are always found in a book with other short stories.

Whenever you refer to the short story in your writing, always write short story. Never use you in
your writing. Your introduction and summary will be written in 3rd person (he, she, it, they, etc.)
 and your response will be written in 1st person (I). You will not use informal words, such as a lo
t, alot, or lots. Contractions are not used in formal writing either. This is a good time for you
to practice good college writing. You will be graded on these things, although, for the most part,
I will be grading on content in this class.

Using 12 point font, respond to the following questions with complete sentences and good paragraph
form. Do not start a sentence with yes or no to answer a question. Write the answers as though I ha
ve no idea what the questions are.

Begin with a heading found at the top left margin. On the first line write your name, followed by t
he date on the second line and the type of assignment on the third and fourth lines.
        Example:

Shirley Smart
January 10, 2000
Reading Response Journal
Short Story

Double space all your work after the heading with no extra spaces between paragraphs. Indent each p
aragraph (1 tab or 5 spaces).

 1st paragraph (introduction)
     What is the title of the short story? Short story titles are put in quotation marks (" ").
     What is the name of the book in which this short story is found. (Be sure to underline the ti
tle and capitalize the first and last words and all other words except articles (a, an, the), coord
ina
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing
water, & breeds reptiles of the mind."
                             --William Blake
Robin Redmon Wright
Director of the Academic Assistance and Resource Ctr.
Stephen F. Austin State University
(409)468-1463

September 2020
August 2020