Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: A midsummer nights question

Jenny Ruchhoeft <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:27:57 -0500

text/plain

Have you considered dividing up the lecture topics among the students so
that they have to present the material to the rest of the class members?
You could incorporate a requirement that they check with you prior to the
presentation to ensure that they fully understand the material. If the
students find the content "dry," they could have as much creative license to
make the material as interesting as possible, perhaps by applying the
subject matter to a case study or vignette.

I had a class like this in my graduate studies and thoroughly enjoyed it.
However, I would add a component of class discussion following each
presentation. Perhaps you could generate a few standard questions and/or
application discussions so that the students have an opportunity to
experience the content (as opposed to just seeing and hearing it). This
would, of course, require some strict limits on time-keeping. The only
opposition (from students) that I can foresee might come from students who
don't like the kinesthetic or direct experience aspect of the class.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Annette Gourgey
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 10:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A midsummer nights question

Hi Ted and others,

Ted and I have discussed this off-list. There is only one problem I have
had, and continue to have, in implementing techniques such as collaborative
learning. I have still never found a solution, so would welcome comments
and suggestions.

I get no opposition from other faculty or from students. The problem is
time. I teach a statistics course with a long syllabus in a 2.5-hour/week
format. The time frame and syllabus are clearly designed for fast lecture.
The course has a reputation for going too fast and students dread taking it.

I have tried CL and feel some laboratory format is necessary to learn this
material well, but it necessarily takes more time for students to wrestle
with the problems this way. I have already cut several topics to allow room
for this, but there is a limit to how much I can cut without doing violence
to the course and what it is a prerequisite for.

The result is that I do some cooperative problem solving but not nearly as
much as I would like for students' active learning. On the positive side,
my course is extremely well received even with the limited amount of CL,
students say it allays their anxieties, and their exam performance is
generally good. That tells me I'm on the right track, but I sure wish I
could squeeze in more lab for deeper understanding.

Sorry I don't have any solutions, only a question. Has anyone else
struggled with this, and how have you tried to deal with it?