Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Another piece from Academe Today for you to consider

Sandie Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:44:23 -0400

text/plain

Thank you Cris.

Sandie

At 12:00 PM 8/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
>This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>
>------_=_NextPart_001_01C00611.15C6D7DC
>
>According to this piece from Academe Today, too many people are going to
>college. The author erroneously states that remedial education began in the
>1980s. However, Remedial education actually began much earlier. Harvard
>certainly had remedial education in the 19th century as the doors to higher
>education were opened to immigrants and graduates of the "new" public high
>schools. I'm sure the case was made then, as it is now, that these students
>are being done a disservice by allowing them to think they can attain a
>degree.
>
>If the job of education is merely to provide a skilled workforce, then,
>perhaps, there should be something in addition to college or university
>beyond the trade schools. Of course, the same business leaders who complain
>about a shortage of skilled workers, often set barriers to promotion by
>making a college degree the entrance requirement.
>
>In our teaching experience, haven't we all encountered the student who did
>not apply his/herself in high school or for whatever reason didn't get a
>firm grounding in high school, but had the intelligence, the desire, and the
>will to get an education? Those students benefit from some remedial support
>and go on to become excellent students and productive members of the
>workforce. I believe the real issue is a sense of elitism, that higher
>education is only for a chosen few. What if the division between the highly
>educated and the skilled workforce became too great? The benefits of a
>liberal arts education are to expand the thinking of students; to encourage
>them to think outside the box of a narrow discipline or skill.
>
>No one wants to encourage a student who has no ability whatsoever, but
>should one be so quick to judge?
>
>These are just a few thoughts from a first generation college student who
>didn't need remedial studies but has dedicated her life to helping others
>overcome barriers to higher education.
>Cris
>Cris Richardson
>Assistant Director, Learning Center
>Rogers State University
>1701 W. Will Rogers Blvd.
>Claremore, OK 74017
>918.343.7727
>www.rsu.edu

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
                Alvin Toffler

September 2020
August 2020
July 2020