Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: What is your policy about requests for e-mail?
From: Brian Pillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:32:25 -0500

Here at Lancaster County Nebraska we are beginning to look at a uniform
policy to respond to requests for public records.  Currently, we do not
even have a uniform charge per copy from department to department.  My
specific question for you is how do you handle requests for access to
e-mail records?
I've been on the list long enough to know that the answer is that the
policy should be the same regardless of media.  E-mail is not a records
category, it is a medium.  What I'm really after is a suggestion for how
best one might respond to a request for all County Comissioners' e-mail
messages related to one specific subject.  How are the e-mail messages
found and identified and delivered?

Brian Pillard, CRM
Records Manager
Lancaster County Nebraska