]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  September 2000, Week 4

PSYART September 2000, Week 4

Re: Teaching object-relations in the humanities

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:52:28 -0400

text/plain

From:
        Katherine <[log in to unmask]>

2:03 PM

Michael,

Here is one more thought.  A book that I found really helpful as a beginner in
looking at object-relations and literature was Robert Rogers,  _Self and Other:
Object Relations in
 Psychoanalysis and Literature_.    Rogers provides an overview of various
theories
and then shows some applications to specific works.  I recall some Emily
Dickinson
poems in particular.  You might want to put it on reserve even if you don't use
it
as a text.  I have recomended it for teaching undergraduates and it seems to
have
been helpful.  Those of us who have been doing this for a while sometimes forget
that undergraduate students are not ready for the level of sophistication and
specialization that characterize graduate courses.  The list of possibilities to
date might be a challenge for a Ph. D. candidate!

Good luck!

Kathy Agar

Three cheers for my erstwhile Buffalo colleague!
--Best, Norm