Back to reality.

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:28:16 -0400

text/plain

The realization that my vacation was over set in as I stood outside the office yesterday and heard my first Yellow-rumped warblers of the season.  I did have some fun birding this week though.

I started my trip south at Spanish River Park in Boca Raton.  There were several Tennessee warblers and Ovenbirds around the park.  I found nine species of warblers there.  The best birding was in a field behind the maintenance area.  It is fairly weedy with a few brush piles and is ringed by dense shrubs.  There were at least seven Painted buntings and a few indigos as well as a very noisy female Blue grosbeak.  One of the most interesting birds was a male Wilson's warbler that was very actively feeding all along the east side of the field.  There was an adult Clay-colored sparrow hanging around with the Indigo buntings as well.

Further south, I birded Matheson Hammock in Miami.  There were many strange iguanas down near the water.  I am not sure which species, my herp skills are waning fast.  It was the middle of the day and the songbirding was tough.  I headed straight for John Pennekamp State Park where I would spend the night.  I spent a good bit of time relaxing and enjoying the White ibises that came to bathe in the pond near the campground before going off to roost somewhere.  Shortly after dark I heard and saw a few Yellow-crowned night herons.  These would be the common species in the keys.  After they flew by a few birds came up in the opposite direction.  The sounded like Black-crowned.  I looked and they also looked like Black-crowned.  There were a few more and a few more and they just kept coming.  There were at least 50, maybe more.  That seemed an unusually high number for the keys.  Of course, this is the first time I have birded here in the fall, so what do I know?

The next day I left early and headed to the Audubon Society research headquarters in Tavernier to get a guide to birding the keys.  I left mine at home, so I had to fork out another $2 for a new copy.  I birded Harry Harris county park first.  There were  a few shore birds and lots of Palm warblers.  At the entrance to the park I found two Wilson's warblers.  Later as I was birding the undeveloped lots of a housing development recommended in the guide I would find another Wilson's warbler a Clay-colored sparrow.  Before this year I had seen only one Wilson's warbler in Florida and now I have seen six in less than two weeks.

I quickly made my way to the lower keys as I would be spending the weekend at the Florida Keys Birding and Wildlife Festival.  I checked the Blue Hole on Big Pine Key for Least grebe.  I am now 0 for 2 lifetime.  The best bird was at the Key West Botanical Garden.  As pointed out in earlier posts, it is on Stock Island, but in the city limits of Key West.  Of course I am talking about the McGillavry's warbler.  I was making my way around the back side of Desbien's Pond trying to get some birds going when it happened.  I saw a gray head stick up momentarily from the brush.  I was so shocked I couldn't remember how to ID the Oporornis warblers.  I saw the gray head with bold white eye arcs and a diffuse dark eye line.  At first I thought it had to be a Mourning, McGillavry's just doesn't show up in Florida, right?  Well I checked the book and it was a McGillavry's.  Later I read everything I could find on how to ID the Mourning and McGillavry's warblers.  Every book said that this was one of the most difficult identifications to make.  That mostly applies to females and immatures, not adult males like the one I saw.  Mourning warblers, especially immatures and females, can have eye rings that almost look complete.  All the books stressed that the eye rings were very thin in Mourning and that the thickness of the rings/arcs was a good mark.  If this had been an immature or female, I would have had to say Oporornis sp. since I have never seen either species.

After that it was all kind of downhill.  I did find Indigenous park (hours 7:30 to 4:00.)  And looked in vain for a Wheatear.  I'm sure that bird is long gone now.  The park looked interesting, maybe sometime I will get there when it is open.

Friday I was on the fastcat to the Dry Tortugas.  Very few people bird this area in the fall and I wanted to check it out while I was down there.  I did not do as well as Chris Borg would do a few days later.  The only songbirds I could muster were a few Palm warblers and two Savannah sparrows.  A Sharp-shinned hawk managed to find a bird before I did.  There is a "pet" White-winged dove, possibly the same bird that was there last spring, that kept flying around and around and around.  It must be poisonous or else the myriad hawks flying around would have eaten it.  The bird is practically hand tame.  If you sit at a table, it will come over and walk right around your feet.  The weather conditions were not very conducive to songbirds.  The wind was whipping the whole time and songbirds on Tortugas are already hard to see with the hawks constantly patrolling.

The Keys festival was interesting.  My favorite part was the hawk watch station at Curry Hammocks.  There were hundreds of hawks passing by all day.  The highlights for me were the kettles of Broad-wings.  I probably saw 10 times as many Broad-wings as I had seen in my life.  Both morphs of Short-tailed hawks sailed overhead giving us great views.  An immature light morph Swainson's hawk circled on a thermal for one of the most extensive and best views I have had of that species.

Monday saw me dragging my way back north toward home.  I checked Bill Baggs State Park on the way.  It is remarkable to see all the thousands of native plants planted after Hurricane Andrew eight years ago.  There is an amazing variety of habitats.  I wish I could say there was an amazing array of birds.  I was glad to see a park in south Florida that was not overrun with exotics.  I checked two parks in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  I was really dragging at this point, but I wanted to scope out the famous John U Lloyd and Hugh Taylor Birch Parks.  I remembered Lloyd Park when I entered.  I had chased a Bananaquit here years ago.  Birch park was really interesting.  Lots of nice habitat, I could almost see the quail doves walking on the ground and the bananaquits searching for nectar in the trees.

As the Flyway Festival approaches, my thoughts turn to the birding competition and how to make the Canadians' flight back to Canada a long one.  Due to a quirk in the schedule I will only have two days to bird this weekend, so I will probably be keeping it domestic.

David Simpson
Sebastian, FL