RECMGMT-L November 2000

Re: EDMS Question

Geoff Moore <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:24:18 +1100

text/plain

Nancy
The question you pose is an often asked question.

Records management software is a computer application developed to manage
records. While in the past this involved managing physical documents, in
file folders, in boxes (with all the functionality mentioned in Ginny's
post) today a records management system needs to be capable of managing
other forms of records (email, word processing documents, internet
transactions, voice mail etc). The nature of records has changed (and
continues to change). Records Management Systems must expand their
functionality to manage the new types of records.

Lets start with Document Technologies:

A Gartner Group study (1999) defined the following major Document Technology
Categories:
1. Integrated Document Archive and Retrieval Systems - basically COLD and
Report Distribution Systems
2. Workflow
3. Document Repository Management - Managing individual documents providing
check-in/out, version control, document level indexing, document level
security, search and retrieval
4. Document Component Management - Managing sections of documents and
providing tools to assemble the documents - also provides the check-in/out,
security etc that Document Repository Management provides
5. Document Imaging - converting paper to digital form
6. Film based Imaging - converting paper to film

In terms of general differences between RM and DM systems (personal
opinion):

1. The DM system usually focuses on the individual document (content and
structure) It is assumed that the user will be aware of the context. An RM
system seeks to preserve content, structure and context as the RM system
needs to manage the item for a longer period of time and the context can be
crucial in determining the retention period.
2. The DM system is typically providing utility for an individual or a
workgroup - it assists the users to create and manage their work more
efficiently. An RM system attempts to manage the documents from the
corporation's perspective.

In recent times there has been a noticable convergence of RM and DM
technologies.
Many DM companies have partnered with (or acquired) RM systems (eg
OpenText's acquisition of PS Software, Documentum and IBM RM, Hummingbird/PC
Docs/Records Manager). A white paper on the PC Docs web site (Integrated
Records and Document Management at the Desktop released this year) indicates
that Docs now believe that integration of DM and RM is not the way to go -
they state: "3rd generation RM products...provide an organization with the
ability to manage electronic and physical records for the enterprise with a
single user interface" further they state that the systems will combine EDM
(I believe they are talking about Document Repository Management)
functionality with RM functionality in a single product eliminating "the
support issues characterized by solutions with products from multiple
vendors".

This is the view that TOWER adopted in 1994 with the release of the Windows
version of TRIM.

TOWER's explanation/assumptions:

1. In order to capture records the system must facilitate record
registration from the authoring application (this is the check-in process) -
if the records are not registered as they are created then they will
probably not be registered.
2. Users are more likely to check things in if the system:
        a. is simple to use (few keystrokes)
        b. provides them with a tangible benefit (assists in drafting
process/incorporates automatic workflow
Further,
3. The user knows most about the document/record and therefore is the person
best qualified to classify it (indeed the user may be the only person with
an accurate understanding of the context of the item - eg they may have
taken phone calls about the matter) therefore the user should classify it.

To achieve this TOWER has built EDM controls into the end-user interface for
its RM system. The end users probably believe they are using a DM system but
the items end up in a corporate repository with appropriate records
management controls- (classified against a file or file plan category, with
appropriate retention, access, ownership, security etc) .

In short TOWER believes that DM functionality is an integral component in an
RM system. The DM functionality is needed to get users to classify
electronic records.

Geoff Moore
TOWER Software