PSYART November 2000, Week 5

PSYART journal: six essays on George Eliot

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:05:26 -0500

text/plain

From: Norm

Dear PSYARTers,

It gives me great pleasure to announce the publication in the PSYART online
journal of six articles plus an introduction, dealing with the psychology of
George Eliot and her novels.  This was originally a special issue of the
American Journal of Psychoanalysis, edited by my colleague and friend, Bernard
J. Paris.  The essays are reprinted in PSYART with the kind permission of the
authors, of Bernie, of Douglas Ingram, the 1999 editor of the journal, and
Kluwer Academic/Human Sciences Press, the publisher of the journal.  As I think
you will see when you check the site, this amounts to an online e-book, a form
of publication which, I believe and hope, will become the norm for collections
of scholarly essays.  E-books promise the widest possible airing of ideas.

You can access our journal at <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/journal>.

And here are the abstracts of the papers--

Introduction
by Bernard J. Paris

Maggie and Dorothea: Reparation and Working Through in George Eliot's Novels
by Ignes Sodre

This article discusses the idea that an artistic flaw in a great work of
literature may remain in the author's mind as an unresolved conflict which
will seek resolution in a subsequent work. George Eliot's great novels The
Mill on the Floss and Middlemarch are explored to show that Maggie
Tulliver's heroic death, artistically unsatisfactory because it is a
wish-fulfilling, daydream-like solution is one of the reasons for creating
the character of Dorothea Brooke in Middlemarch. Dorothea's development from
self-idealising adolescent to mature, self-aware young woman works through
an emotional conflict which initially belongs to George Eliot herself, and
this is seen to have a reparative function, leading to greater integration
and a more artistically truthful resolution.

"I've been robbed!": Breaking the Silence in Silas Marner
by Laura Emery and Margaret Keenan

Psychoanalytic ideas about trauma and mastery can enhance our understanding of
Silas, of his creator, and of ourselves.  Because Eliot gives such detailed
attention to Silasís withdrawal, we can recognize it as a common response to
traumatic loss.  Silas's isolation, his hoarding, and his deadened senses are
attempts at mastering loss, but they keep him numbed and incapable of healing.
When events repeat the trauma, however, his old wounds reopen, providing the
possibility of a new outcome. This time, by acknowledging--to others and to
himself--the intolerable pain of loss, Silas begins to heal, initiating a return
to relatedness and to life.

Conflicting Self-Perceptions in George Eliot's Romola
by Peggy Fitzhugh Johnstone

Eliot's Romola presents contrasting father-child relationships, one cold and
narcissistic and the other warm and loving.  Central to both is conflict,
emphasized in the narcissistic relationship but denied in the other.  These
relationships, I argue, reflect Eliot's conflicting perceptions of her
relationship to her father.  Kernberg's theory of intrapsychic development
combined with Bowlby's studies of attachment and loss suggest that the split
between the two sets of characters reflects both the author's conflicting
self-perceptions and her failure fully to mourn her father's death.  Eliot's
early experiences of separation and loss gave her a pattern of anxious
attachment to loved ones that predisposed her to problems with mourning their
deaths.  Her denial of the anger in her anxious relation to her father keeps her
from finishing the task of mourning, i.e., integrating positive and negative
aspects of their relationship.

Middlemarch Revisited: Changing Responses to George Eliot
by Bernard J. Paris

In Experiments in Life: George Eliot's Quest for Values (1965), I subscribed to
George Eliot's beliefs and saw her characters in terms of her own
interpretations and judgments, as I understood them.  I have subsequently come
to feel that Eliot's philosophy has serious deficiencies and to perceive her
characters as brilliant mimetic creations who subvert their formal and thematic
roles when we analyze their psychology.  Focusing on Dorothea Brooke, this essay
compares my past and present readings, tries to explain why my responses have
changed, and argues that George Eliot's Religion of Humanity, which Dorothea
exemplifies, is a celebration of what Karen Horney describes as the
self-effacing solution.  George Eliot dramatizes the destructiveness of this
solution, with its compulsively self-sacrificial behavior, but since she employs
the solution herself, her rhetoric glorifies it as a sign of moral grandeur.

George Eliot--Proto-Psychoanalyst
by Carl T. Rotenberg

In the novel, Daniel Deronda, published in 1876, George Eliot depicts essential
aspects of a treatment dyad in her portrayal of the relationship between
Gwendolen Harleth and Daniel Deronda.  The author of this article speculates on
the possible influence of George Eliot on Sigmund Freud and the  psychoanalytic
concepts he described decades after the publication of the novel.  The
attributes of the therapeutic relationship denoted by Eliot include: a listening
perspective, suspension of moral criticism, attunement to shifting affective and
cognitive states, tolerance of contradictions, resistance, the significance of
empathic attunement, unconscious processes, and the fundamentals of
transference.  Eliot describes the difference between an enacted romantic
relationship vs. a therapeutic relationship, in which the treater's needs are
renounced for the sake of the healing effects of the relationship

On Ideas of `the Good' and of `the Ideal' in George Eliot's Novels and in
Post-Kleinian Psychoanalytic Thought
by Margot Waddell

This paper draws a distinction between the role of an abstract notion of the
Good-in-itself and the seeking after a good which is attainable, and in relation
to which many people may usefully live their lives.  Both George Eliot and
psychoanalysts may be said to be engaging with the problem of truthfulness in
human affairs and with the role of that truthfulness in the growth and
development of the individual.  In each case, where `ideal' sanctions are
invoked, there is a price to be paid.  In the novels it is paid aesthetically,
thereby weakening the characterisations and undermining the philosophical
conviction.  In psychoanalytic theory it is paid at that point of abstraction
where it become hard to link the concepts with the major practical and ethical
problems, which lie at the heart of clinical practice.