Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Tutor contracts

"Villa, Judy" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:54:44 -0500

text/plain

Dear LouAnn,

We don't have official contracts with our tutors, but we do expect that they
will fulfill their promise to work as agreed unless difficult circumstances
arise.  Of course, any resignation or significant reduction in hours hurts
the overall operation of the Learning Center and service offered to
students.  But our tutors are students themselves with all the attendant
pressures, so we try to be graceful when they have to back out of a
commitment.

I don't know how large your tutor staff is, but we employ about 40 each
semester.  Many have been here several semesters.  We try hard to offer
little perks when we can (budget allowing).  For example, we bring in snacks
regularly (popcorn, apples, pretzels, other munchies).  During tutor
training sessions when we watch student-produced videos, we offer popcorn
and bottled water as refreshments.  The tutors love this.  At Halloween
time, I made treat bags with each tutor's name on the bag.  This really
tapped into the kid in everyone (don't forget the administrative staff and
secretary).  In this last week of class, we brought in large trays of
homemade holiday cookies--a big draw for beleaguered tutors working here and
schlogging through end-of-semester papers and tests.

During the semester I make myself available to any tutors who just want to
talk/vent about their workload, plans for grad school, GRE's, etc.  I think
it's important for our tutors to know that they are really valued and cared
about as staff members and very hard-working students.  I send e-mails
regularly to praise a particular session I have eavesdropped on or to
compliment a well-written professor report the tutor(s) sent.  This is also
another opportunity to give tutor training in bits and pieces and to suggest
alternative delivery of service as needed.  The tutors react very favorably
to the continuing dialogue throughout the semester.

We offer our tutors help with resumes, cover letters, and job interviews,
focusing on the transfer of many tutorial skills to the professional
workplace.  Tutors feel supported and know they can count on the Learning
Center for great recommendations for employment and grad schools.

We believe the loyalty of our tutors (many of whom stay with us for 6 or 7
semesters) comes more from job satisfaction than from high pay (ranging
between $6.25/hr-$8.25/hr).  A few of our seniors and fifth-year tutors stay
in this job rather than working at more lucrative jobs because they love the
work and get great rewards from helping other students.  And I love
supervising these wonderful young adults.

Hope these comments aren't too toucy-feely for your needs, and I do realize
that many tutorial centers are hamstrung by financial and operational
difficulties we don't face here, but I believe that the caring atmosphere is
relatively inexpensive and the returns are significant.

Good Luck!

Judy Villa