]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  December 2000

RECMGMT-L December 2000

Re: Cost Benefit Analysis of off-site vs on-site records storage

Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:23:01 -0500

text/plain

In debate contests, a team takes the affirmative and later the negative.
Guess what? The best team wins regardless of the side of the argument. This
is true of this discussion as well.

A RM who has done their research can beat a less prepared vendor trying to
convince management to move the records offsite. A vendor who has fought
this battle repeatedly typically beats the RM who has never had to argue the
case before. Or in some cases, the RM is actually the one selling management
on the idea of moving less active records offsite and making onsite records
management more participatory.

All of the facts that Peter listed will help you prepare for the debate. But
lets take minute to look at records that move offsite and then come back
"in-house" at some point in the future. The original marketing case stated
that cost savings or efficiencies would occur. The vendor who made the case
oftentimes is a local company with a strong reputation for service and
quality records management. Everything works just as planned. Space is
freed-up for other activities, cost savings are realized and the offsite
storage company is better at finding the boxes that were entered into a
reliable bar-coded retrieval system than the client was originally. Everyone
is happy and the case is justified.

But in coming years, management decides to bid the storage out to the lowest
cost vendor. It is merely a purchasing agent decision. The records now get
moved to a company with less on-hands records management, your account is no
longer viewed as one deserving of high service levels as you merely
specified pricing as the determination, after all, what does the purchasing
agent know about records management. Lead times on returns go from same day
to next day, then it's the day after that. Then boxes seem to disappear. A
lost box here, a lost box there.  They blame you, you blame them. It's lost!
Get over it! Hey they're only "useful" records not important records. It
doesn't matter if we lose them. This can go on for some time. The RM is very
unhappy but what can you do!

Then legal needs something for a lawsuit or the CEO needs certain documents
for an important meeting! But they can't be found or they are delivered past
the time they are required. BIG DISCOVERY, SERVICE HAS GONE DOWN HILL! Next
thing you know, management asks you to prepare the case for in-house
storage. Now the debate centers on the cost of delayed access to records or
the cost of losing records and having to recreate them or defend yourself in
court without them.

Just like the high school debate team, "the quality of the team" is what
wins the debate. In the original case, the RM worked with the high quality
service provider in their market. A company known for on time delivery, zero
lost boxes and expert assistance in managing a client's records inventory.
The introduction of the purchasing agent who failed to keep quality in the
bid program or, in some cases, the merger of the high quality provider with
an out of town company who is focused on volume of boxes rather than service
to the client, is what moves the boxes from offsite storage back to in-house
records management.

RFP's which do not emphasize performance, reward the purchaser with low
quality service and late deliveries, although as you requested at a lower
cost. The RM requesting offsite storage, or the quality offsite company
proposing the concept of moving to offsite storage, should provide the
benchmarks of performance. ("Minimum Acceptable Levels of Performance")
Failure to meet the benchmarks on a repetitive basis voids the contract.

I would also suggest Terry, that Grand Storage would be better off to hire a
consultant like Peter Kuriliecz or Mike Pemberton or George Cunningham or
Alan Andolsen to come in and define your service offering and marketing
perspective. I would also suggest that joining PRISM would answer many
questions and help keep your company at the cutting edge. Jim Booth of PRISM
is a remarkable resource in the offsite storage arena. One of the key points
brought out in the meeting in Nashville at the PRISM/ARMA Symposium is that
Records Storage is not a storage business at all! It is a service business!
I see so many companies waste their time reinventing the wheel in this
business when there are great consultants that can come in and speed your
penetration into the market making your investment in real estate, hardware
and software pay off at a much faster pace.

--
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
Hugh Smith at (610) 756-4440