]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  December 2000

RECMGMT-L December 2000

Re: E-mail archiving paper and electronic

Geoff Moore <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:50:02 +1100

text/plain

The problem you describe is not an uncommon one. You have two (or more
systems) with a significant overlap of records/document management
functionality.
I believe that the problem is partially caused by the definition of a record
used at your firm i.e.  "an object becomes a RECORD when it is finalized,
printed out and sent to the Records Dept.". This custodial view of records
management - where the records management department is only interested in
the final record version leads to the adoption of many disparate systems
(some that manage records while they are being created and some that are
used for final copies) that need to be integrated. This type of approach
appears to have had few (if any) successful implementations. (A recent
posting to the list asking about successful implementations of DOD5015.2
product paired solutions resulted in virtually no response).
A more holistic view of records management that includes management of
records that are being drafted, results in RM systems that incorporate DM
functionality. The result is one system that can be used to meet individual,
workgroup and corporate information management requirements.
While PC Docs may not be being used to manage final records the system is
currently managing records. PC Docs may not provide all of the controls that
the Records Department would like to have available to manage these
documents from a records perspective, but records are being managed by this
application, and these records would be subject to a discovery process.
I must confess that I don't understand why an email message would ever need
to be modified. I would have thought that sending an email effectively
finalizes it. Information from the message may be reused in other documents
but this would not result in changes to the original message, it would
instead result in a new message or document being created.
I would agree that giving users two different ways to record an email system
would be confusing. I can't agree with your IT department, as I cannot see
the need to edit an email message - an attachment perhaps, but not the
message itself. I would suggest that it might make sense to enable an email
attachment to be sent to PC Docs so that it could be edited. The mail
message itself (plus attachment) should go directly into the records
management system. If Docs users need access to it then have IT build an
interface from Docs to the record system (rather than to the email system).
Geoff Moore
TOWER Software