RECMGMT-L January 2001

Re: New NFPA 232 Standard

Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:19:38 -0500

text/plain

I stand corrected.

I think it would be helpful for Diane to provide us with some Bio
information that will shed light on her approach to the standard.

I still feel that additional CRM's who feel strongly about performance
standards should consider approaching NFPA 232 about serving on this
committee. Most organizations having standards for their own industry
provide more than a 1 in 10, or 1 in 20 representation to the group.

NFPA 232 and 75 are very distinct in that they speak to the protection of
business records and information assets. They are not about controlling the
fire so it doesn't catch the refinery next door on fire, and they are not
about evacuating an office building full of occupants to the street safely
(although that is nice as well). These standards are about protecting
"important business records!" If they are  only "useful records," meaning we
could care less whether they are in the warehouse tomorrow then this
standard does not apply.

Will you stand by while the standard is weakened? Is one CRM from the
private sector RM perspective enough out of 32 now listed on the committee.
The revised standard has already had an effect on the industry which is
good. Many quality providers of offsite storage have realized this standard
will help them attract you as a client if they are the first to meet it.
Also some RM's are using the standard to show management that changes need
to occur. Long term records are worth protecting and so is the manager
charged with the responsibility. Another major benefit is that it opens the
door to quality independent records storage vendors to be able to bid on and
win Federal Records Storage contracts and compete with the larger companies.
This saves us all tax dollars.

There are hundreds of records storage facilities I have toured which bear a
greater resemblance to the Texas A&M Bonfire than they do to a secure
records storage repository. Then there are some wonderful facilities out
there which are a tribute to the records management community. February 28
in Phoenix will decide the policy of the future.

If you care about this issue, send an email to the Committee Chairman
Stephen Hannestad of NARA <[log in to unmask]> or better yet
fax him on your corporate letterhead at 301 713-7389 and let him know where
you stand. (He may not be able to respond, as he is currently helping
someone move records from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to a certain museum in
Arkansas but he will know where you and ARMA stands if he gets input.)

Hugh Smith