Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  February 2001

BRCA-L February 2001

Re: Protocol #983252

"Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Breast Cancer Online Support Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:57:46 -0800

text/plain

Hi, Laura -

I know of several ladies who are getting these particular meds in
combination, but I have no idea whether they're in that particular
trial.  Two things I've found out, though.  Carboplatin does not do so
much damage to hearing as Cisplatin which has long been used for breast
cancer, so carboplatin has been used as effectively in a couple of
places as they previously used Cisplatin.  Carboplatin obviously would
also not present the same potential for heart damage that meds like
Adria do.

The obvious issue with any protocol containing Herceptin and Taxol is
also potential heart damage as well as possible peripheral neuropathy.
Most places in SoCal are really carefully monitoring people on this
combination with a MUGA before any treatment and MUGA or echocardiograms
periodically during treatment (approximately every other cycle beginning
two-three weeks after cycle three is completed unless the patient
complains of shortness of breath or edema in the legs -- not
lymphedema).  A number of people are getting started on Neurontin
whenever the neuropathy starts to show up, but I recently asked why it
wasn't being given prophylactically to see whether that would help.  The
folks I talked to did a Duh!  ;-(

One thing I'd encourage anybody developing peripheral neuropathy in the
feet to do is to walk or otherwise exercise their feet as much as
possible.  Same goes for the hands;  but, except for playing the piano
and typing a lot, I don't know what could be done except maybe
wallwalkers and squeezing a stress toy.

HTH.

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]